Chapter 5

I wasn't surprised to see that Elan had separated herself from me and started talking to other people. It was going to happen no doubt about it, but what really surprised me was the fact that she came back to me and continued to try and grab my attention afterwards.

I'd probably been confusing the hell out of Elan with my shifting attitudes towards her. It wasn't my intention to bring her in and push her away like I was, but I didn't know if I wanted to get rid of the only decent relationship I had with someone.

This whole thing was weird to me. I mean, no one has ever talked to me for more than three minutes in a long time.

"Do you like sports?"

I snapped back into focus on Elan. "Oh, uhm I watch soccer and basketball a lot." I answered.

She nodded, her lips curling up into a half smile. "Do you play soccer?"

I shrugged, tucking my loose hairs behind my ear. "I played soccer when I was like six or seven, but not much after that."

"Did you like playing soccer?" She questioned, seeming to be genuinely interested in the topic.

"I actually did and still do, I just haven't been able to play much now that I'm older."

Her eyebrows furrowed and she tilted her head to the side. "Why?" She asked. "Don't they have plenty of rec teams and parks for you to play?"

I shrugged.

I'd always enjoyed playing soccer but I hadn't been to our field in ages, now that almost our whole neighborhood knows about me they don't really let me stay and play for long.

"School and stuff. I just don't have the time."

She pouted. "That really sucks, but I get it." She said giving me another half smile, making my stomach churn with a feeling I hadn't felt in a while.

That was really bad.

"Y-yeah, uh.. we should probably move back in with the group." I told her, attempting to forget what I just felt.

She looked over her shoulder, noticing that we were a bit away from our gym class.

"Oh, yeah we probably should..." she said, turning to walk towards the group. I followed, but kept my distance.

I shook myself out of it and tried to focus on where we were going. They were already looking at the both of us, probably wondering why we decided to join them.

"Hey the fag finally decided to join us, and she brought a friend."

I hated gym class for two reasons... because of the exercise we had to do, and the fact that Devon was in my gym class. He hadn't beaten me up at lunch like he said, so I wasn't sure if he was over it or just waiting.

I guess this was how she's going to find out. In a gym class, with everyone watching, and Devon delivering the news. Could life get any better?

"Devon." I didn't know what to say. Elan wasn't saying anything, which really scared me.

"What's her name?" He asked nodding at Elan and giving her a once over.

I looked at Elan, and her eyes met mine. "I uh.." She was trying to tell me something with the look in her eyes, but I couldn't tell what it was. I wasn't sure if I even wanted to know.

Elan turned to Devon. "What's your name?" He repeated, sensing that I wasn't going to answer.

"Elan, and you are?"

He gave his signature smirk and took a step closer to her. "Devon Graham, it's such a pleasure to meet you." Elan took a step back and took a long look over Devon. The tension in the room was burning my skin, it was like a knife was being held to my neck. I could only be a witness to what was happening, if I said anything I would make things worse. The students standing around us could also feel the tension, nobody spoke.

They didn't break eye contact for many moments, until the sharp sound of a whistle broke the silence.

"Alright social time is over! Although, it seems like you guys weren't being very social. Did someone die?" Coach grumbled studying all of our faces, stopping on Elan. "What are you doing hiding back there girl? What's your name?"

"Elan."

She nodded, "Well you're in P.E right now, did you know that?"

Elan raised an eyebrow and nodded.

Coach shrugged. "You'd be suprised at how many newbies didn't know they were in the class."

After the introductions, the class went outside and we started to walk the track.