Chapter 20

The next day at school, Dennise found me while walking down the hall and pulled me with her outside to talk. I asked her what she wanted to say so urgently and she smiled excitedly before finally spilling what she'd been waiting to say so desperately.

"I convinced mom last night not to put you into therapy." She revealed to my surprise.

My jaw dropped at the words my sister spoke. There's no way she managed to change my mom's mind. I couldn't believe it. My mom is such a stubborn woman that I was actually taken aback at the simple fact she had a change of heart.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, I told her it'd be a waste of money and that instead I'd watch you and make sure you weren't doing 'anything gay'." She explained, making air quotations while saying what I could only assume was my mom's description of my actions. "Don't worry though, I have your back."

I rolled my eyes at my mom's comment but smiled at the support my sister was giving me. "Thanks, Dennise. I don't know if I should hug you or not."

She shook her head. "Don't thank me yet. Mom has one more condition."

"What is it?" I asked.

Dennise put a hand on my shoulder and flashed me an apologetic look. "She has to meet Elan." She said.

I closed my eyes, hoping that miraculously my sister wouldn't be standing in front of me telling me my Mom wanted to meet the girl she was so pissed at me hanging around. Like why would she want to do that? After everything's she's done to me.

My mind was spinning.

"Why?" I breathed out.

"She wants to see the girl making you revert back to your old tendencies." She told me, running a hand though her hair. "And tell her off I guess." She mumbled.

"I can't let her do that. Elan's my best friend and Mom shouldn't be anywhere near anyone I care about...ever." I said. "It'd be torture for the both of us and Elan doesn't deserve to go through that."

"I get that Savannah, but think about yourself for a second." Dennise said. "Mom will stop questioning you if she sees who you're actually hanging around. Elan can dress up a little bit and impress mom so she forgets that you were ever in trouble for talking to her. This meeting is going to happen regardless, so it's either prepare a solid defense for all of your skipping and running around with Elan or go to therapy."

"I-I can't make Elan do that."

Dennise rolled her eyes at me. "She'd do anything for you just ask."

"Mom isn't very forgiving, Dennise. If she thinks even slightly that I have feelings towards Elan or the other way around she's gonna freak out." I stated. "I could try, but it's risky."

"I know just think about it, please. You can't hide from Mom forever and she'd be even more pissed if you didn't follow through." Dennise said, bringing a gentle hand to my face. "Come on Sav, I'm trying to help and this is what I could do for you. Talk to her about it?"

I nodded. "Okay, fine."

She smiled at me enthusiastically and told me I made the right choice before hugging me goodbye.

Holding her hand was a dangerous task. I could feel the sweat building in my palms as I attempted to ease my nerves but surprisingly she hasn't said anything about it.

"What aren't you telling me right now?"

Spoke too soon.

"Nothing."