Chapter 15

I may have spent more time than necessary in the shower to stall from having the conversation, but that doesn't matter anymore because now I'm sitting in front of Elan on her bed avoiding her steady gaze attempting to find the right words to explain everything.

It's harder than I expected it to be. Usually it was easy to talk to her, but right now my mouth was sealed shut and my mind was racing.

I wanted to know what she was thinking.

It was so much easier when she was saying everything would be okay without knowing why I didn't believe her words myself. I could give into her without thinking so much.

Sooner or later I would have no choice but to speak.

I let out the deep breath I'd been holding in and finally let my gaze fall in line with hers. She smiled softly, finding progress in my actions.

"Can you hold my hand?" I asked timidly, feeling shy for asking for her to do something so innocent.

"Of course I can." She said, taking my hand into hers.

My stomach did flips in respone to her soft touch. She wouldn't leave me after this, right?

"You promise to not say anything until I'm done?" I asked.

Elan squeezed my hand gently and nodded. "If that's what you need me to do, then consider it done."

I really didn't deserve someone like her. She was too kind to me.

"Okay...well, I guess I'll start with the day that I ran to your house."

I told her everything — excluding the reasons why I pulled her into the surprise embrace, as well as my emotionally driven actions that may have confused her in the past week.

I don't think she knew what to say. Even if I said that it was okay to tell me what she was thinking she still wasn't able to formulate a sentence.

When I told her about what my mom did I felt her hand nearly crush my own. She had to let go to avoid hurting me.

"Are you okay?" I asked cautiously, trying to catch her eye but failing miserably. She was too busy looking at her knuckles lose color as she clenched the bedsheets in her fists.

I reached out to touch her hand but she recoiled immediately. "Hey..." I whispered softly, wanting nothing more than for her to look at me. She was off the bed quicker than I could stop her.

She wouldn't stop shaking her head at me, her bottom lip trembling as she held back her tears.

I never thought I'd see her like this.

I moved to pull her back onto the bed but she avoided my touch. Her back was almost against the wall and she still refused to look at me directly.

When she finally spoke, her words came out broken. "I-I'm s-so sorry, Savannah."

I didn't move closer to her anymore, afraid that she might reject me again. "Why are you sorry?" I asked, studying her every move.

She looked as if she was going to explode when she finally looked into my eyes. The words bubbling in her chest begging to be let out, but she refused to release them.

"Elan?"

The sound of her name was the end of her and the tears that threatened to spill finally broke free.