Chapter 19

When Elan said she liked me as more than a friend I was dumbstruck. In shock even, and it was mind-boggling when she acted as if the conversation never happened only a few moments later.

We walked together through the halls and she didn't distance herself from me, and when she dropped me off at my class she still smiled at me as if I was the only person around to see it.

I've spent so long suppressing my feelings for her and now she springs this on me? I haven't the slightest idea of how to handle her anymore.

But truthfully, I don't think I ever did.

Never in a million years would I have thought I'd have to contemplate something like this. So I thought over all the possible outcomes of her confession. And I came to the conclusion that Elan didn't understand just how important it was that we stuck to what we discussed.

"Shit." I cursed under my breath, running my fingers through my hair. I smoothed my hair back down when I realized I was beginning to make my hair look like a bird's nest.

I just want everything to go back to normal, I thought.

Back to the time where I knew where my life was headed and I wasn't scared of the future. Where there was no Elan and no confusion. Where I felt safer being the odd one out than with someone that could actually protect me from all of that.

When it was just me to worry about.

I didn't like depending on Elan to keep me out of harm's way. Sure things have changed for the better since we've been friends but I didn't mean for things to get this complicated.

I never meant for things to go this far.

For my sake and for Elan's.

When the bell rang I took my time making my way to gym class. Avoiding Elan wasn't an option for me so I was of course delaying the inevitable. I spotted Danielle walking down the hall so I sped up and fell into pace beside her.

"Hey, can I ask you something?"

Danielle jumped a little at my sudden appearance before staring at me with confusion in her eyes. "What?"

"Can I ask you something?" I repeated, maneuvering through the group of kids blocking my way as I tried to stay by her side.

She shrugged. "I guess."

"Why do you think me and Elan should be dating?" I questioned.

Danielle let out a small laugh before answering. "It makes sense." She said, smiling lazily at me. "Like clouds and the sky, you expect for them to go together."

"You think we go together?"

"I think you guys click." She stated. "You're both different in your own ways but together you just- I dunno. It makes sense alright?"

"Right, thanks Danielle."

"You're welcome."

She put a hand on my shoulder. "And quit being so stubborn." She advised, leaning into my side as we walked. "It really doesn't help anyone."

Danielle sent a kind smile my way and winked at me before turning to enter the classroom next to us.

Stubborn? I wasn't stubborn. I was just...playing it safe.

I stopped thinking too much into it and made my way to the gym's locker room where I knew Elan would be waiting for me.

Despite what I was telling myself about distancing myself from her, my heart still pounded against my chest when I saw her. There was no way I could've ignored the way she made me feel after her confession, but the least I could do was try.