Chapter 14

SAVANNAH POV

Elan was acting strange ever since she saw the marks and bruises on my back. I knew she was shocked, but now I couldn't tell anything about what she's thinking. Her face had gone blank. Maybe her mind was moving too fast for me to catch up and she needed some time to slow down.

She also accepted to go on a date with Dean, which I did not anticipate. I thought that she would politely decline and then I would beg once and she'd say no again before I accepted that and moved on with a different plan knowing I tried. I almost wanted to retract my words but it was too late. The plan was in motion and now I'd have to follow through with it because I knew I had to. There were no other options.

"I'll be waiting outside for you after detention." Elan told me, helping me gather my stuff as the final bell rang.

"Alright."

"Do you want me to carry your things?" Elan offered kindly.

She slung her backpack over her shoulder and looked at me with unreadable eyes.

"No, it's okay." I declined. I'd be fine to carry it in my arms.

Elan nodded and started out of the door with me behind her. When I fell into stride with her I could see her sneaking glances at me from the corner of my eye. "Are you sure you don't want me to-" she started.

"No, It's fine Elan... really." I cut her off knowing exactly what she was asking.

"Alright." She mumbled.

We walked in silence through the halls to the detention room. Elan didn't even wave at the people who were begging for her attention. That's how I knew something big was on her mind. I really didn't want an argument with her, because we hadn't had one of those before. At least not a major one.

"You okay?" I hesitated to ask seeing as I hadn't dealt with her in this mode before.

"Don't worry about me." She said void of emotion, opening the door to the d-hall space.

Yes, that answer totally settled my nerves.

Sarcasm.

"Elan that-"

"Are you in for an hour?" She asked, cutting me off. Touché.

"Y-Yeah."

"I'll see you after that then. Please, don't get any extra time." She said, flashing a weak smile my way before disappearing down the hall.

I really wanted to follow her and find out what was bothering her but I also didn't want more time. So, I reluctantly walked into the room and found a seat in the back while other kids filed in after me.

My eyes widened when I noticed a familiar blonde take a seat at the table across from my own.

ELAN POV

"I'll see you after that then. Please, don't get any extra time."

I didn't stay to hear her question my odd behavior and started down the hall to the exit of the school, straight into the parking lot. This was probably the only time I could catch her before she left.