Forty-Five

I would be lying if I said I wasn't thoroughly excited to be going to the orchestra with Alessio. Yes, we were a half gallon bucket filled with a gallons worth of problems, and yes our relationship was always an uphill climb, but we had been making improvements. A lot of improvements even. At about a quarter after six Alessio called me. "Hi baby." I said as I admired myself in the mirror.

"Katherine."

"You're late. Now I understand you're a workaholic and all but if you don't hurry up I'm not going to have time for desert and then I'm going to be grumpy and no one will have a good time after that."

He sighed.

"I bought this dress, you would absolutely hate how much money I spent on it. It was on clearance. I know, you're probably already disgusted but it actually looks nice. I thought I'd aim for black tie event, sexy, elegant, yet mysteriously dangerous, you know, pretty much how you look. So I went with a black dress-"

"Katherine." He tried again.

"And you know what else? I'm even wearing heels."

"Katherine!"

"What, God, you don't have to yell."

"I'm sorry Katherine."

"It's fine. Now what's up, where are you?"

"I said I'm sorry."

I stopped checking myself out in the mirror abruptly. "You aren't coming?"

"No, I'm not. I'm sorry."

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

I slumped down into the seat in front of the vanity. "You're fine. You just aren't coming?"
"It's business baby. I can't."

I propped my elbow up on the vanity and frowned. "You aren't hurt though? You don't have a gun pointed to your head? None of your guys are bleeding out are they?"

"No, everyone and everything is fine."

"But you aren't coming."

"No."

I sighed heavily.

"We know who the rat is and if we've any hope in catching him we need to act quickly. I'm sure you understand."

"Of course." I muttered and began pulling bobby pins from my hair. I guess I should just be happy he at least explained what the business was. That was a rarity.

"I've already called Stacey. She'll be over around seven-thirty. Simone will drive the two of you-"

"No, we can drive ourselves Alessio. It's fine."

"Don't be silly, I'll have him-"

"Alessio." I said sharper than intended. "It's fine. I'll head over to Stacey's right now." I said and hung up before he had a chance to argue.

I couldn't even enjoy the show. I wasn't mad at Alessio persay, but I was hurt. Not even hurt, disappointed. I tried to remind myself that I really deserved all of this. I had knowingly gotten involved with the leader of a Mafia, of course it wouldn't be all roses and butterflies, of course he would be busy at times.

I was being overdramatic, I should just be thrilled he got these wonderful tickets and that I could spend such an awesome evening with Stacey. But instead I was a complete grump. It was silly and immature, but being the first place I had ever gone with Alessio was a show like this, I sort of felt like it was our thing. I wanted to be here with Alessio, not that I didn't love Stacey or enjoy her company, I had just had my heart set on closing my eyes, putting my head back, and listening to the show with Alessio's hand in mine. The way we had so long ago.

Unbeknownst to me, Stacey had texted Pietro at some point during the concert. Probably telling him I was being a total kill joy and for the love of God save her! At least, that's how I envisioned the conversation in my head. She'd probably just asked if he would be finished with work in time to meet us here after the concert and to come back to her place.

Alessio was of course never done with work but Pietro apparently made such attempts for his girlfriend. When the concert was over Pietro met us outside. I didn't know Stacey had even texted him so I was earnestly surprised, out of instinct I looked for Alessio.

"Cioa pasticcino." Pietro said greeting me in a way I had grown custom to. "You ladies both look lovely."

(hello cupcake)

"You're here?"

"He's still at the office." Pietro smiled apologetically when I looked around him.

"Oh."

"Let me drive you home." Pietro said and Stacey gave him an odd look. To her, it seemed insane. I had my car, there was no reason I couldn't drive it myself. But this was how they worked. They believed that to be alone was to be in danger.

"I'm fine." I assured him. Besides, I didn't really want to go home. I wanted to get a drink. When was the last time I had even gone to a bar? A real, legal bar that is. Not some underground community of hoodlums and crooks.

"Alessio isn't home, I'd like to see that you get in."

"Lucky for me I have the key and all the codes." I trusted telling him I wasn't going home would have been the wrong answer right now.

He sighed, obviously knowing I had already made my decision as to his ride and not willing to throw me over his shoulder or knock me out cold in front of his clueless girlfriend. "We're at least going to walk you to your car." He was firm on this matter but I really didn't mind. My car was less than a two minute walk away.

Stacey hugged me. "Thanks for bringing me! It was amazing. Love you!"

Pietro following suite hugged me as well and muttered into my ear. "You text me the minute you're home."

"Yes Padre." I rolled my eyes.

They stood by my car and waved as I drove off. I started out in the direction of home and when the two disappeared from my rearview I turned a different direction and headed to a bar I figured I was least likely to run into one of Alessio's men at.

--------------------------------------------------------

Haaaaappy Monday!

How are my American football fans holding up this post season? My Eagles didn't even make it to the playoffs, and just about every other team I was rooting for lost this weekend. So that kind of bites...

You know what else kind of bites?

SHORT UPDATES! Like this one. So for that, I will be posting ANOTHER update on Thursday! (: ALSO, I've figured out exactly how many chapters there will be! Unless something changes, and not included bonus updates, there will be 59 chapters! Meaning there are only FOURTEEN chapters left until the book is overrr. 98% chance of book three. Also, there is about 50% chance I will be writing a book FOUR. A prequel, diving deep into the life and upbringing of our favorite bad boy mafia leader. 

Don't bother asking if Kate will tell Alessio about Nash, or if they will get pregnant or married or engaged before the end of the book, or even if they will stay together because I'm not giving away anythingggg. Just read, and enjoy (:

And as always, VOTE and COMMENT! (: