Chapter Fifty

I curled into the fetal position in the bed. My body was washed and my clothes clean and yet I still felt so...dirty.

Alessio was asleep, actually asleep beside me. He hadn't so much as washed the blood off of his hands. We had come home and I had gotten a long, hot shower sobbing through most of it. When I came out he was on the bed asleep. He hadn't even taken his clothes off.

He must have really been tired, he didn't even yell at me on the car ride home. Actually, quite the contrary. He'd let me lean against him for the entire car ride and traced invisible patterns over my hand with his index finger.

He said almost nothing to me. The only thing he said to me was that it was alright, and right before I left the room to get in the shower he'd stopped me. "You know if something ever happened to you I would go mad, don't you?"

Sometimes I felt like I already was mad.

I rolled over and wrapped my arms around his sleeping torso. I put my head on his chest and closed my eyes. I counted the beats of his heart, focused on matching my breathing to his own and snuggled tighter against him.

What a shitty day.

"I love you." He muttered barely audible and I raised my head.

"I love you." I replied back but only got a sleepy sigh in response. I laid my head on him again and drew myself as close to him as I possibly could. "I love you so much."

He shifted beneath me, and rolled onto his side and pulled me against him. "I don't want you hanging out with Matteo." He muttered with his eyes still closed as if he were still asleep.

"I wasn't hanging out with him. I told you, he just sort of showed up and saved the day."

"Or he was a planned part of the attack from the start."

I didn't want to fight with Alessio about this. Not at all. As much as he would hate it, and in no way shape or form was I ever going to admit it to him, but I trusted Nash. To an extent. I felt he had no reason to lie to me, no reason to win my trust over and certainly no reason to give me all the information he did. If Nash was really a member of the mafia and was really using me to try to get in and destroy the Genovese why wouldn't he have turned me over already? Why would he have saved me several times now? Why would he have ever introduced me to his daughter? Why would he have called out my name as he thought he was dying? These were real, raw things that exceeded far beyond just a simple betrayal. I trusted Nash. But I wouldn't admit that to Alessio.

"Maybe." I said simply choosing not to discuss the matter at all.

He nuzzled his face into my cheek. "Katherine..." He cooed against my ear. "If you ever put yourself into a position so dangerous again I swear you won't have to worry about anyone else ever laying a hand on you again because I will kill you myself."

"Can I use my last genie wish to make you stop threatening me?"

His body shook with a withheld chuckle. "No."

"I didn't know genies had stipulations."

"Of course they do. You can't wish for extra wishes, you can't affect someone else's free will and you can't wish for your boyfriend to stop making death threats."

I rolled my eyes. "I lost my phone." I realized after a few moments.

He sighed. "You do tend to break and lose those often, don't you?"

"My gun too."

He hesitated for a moment, took a deep breath and sighed. "Alright, we'll get you a new gun too. You should really be more careful with those things."