Chapter Fifty-Five

Alessio was so right. I was an idiot. I didn't bring my purse. Alessio had yet to give me my new gun, I didn't have the key fob. I was just sitting here in the car waiting for Simone to bring me to the Bonanno and kill me.

Fȕck. Fȕck! Fȕck!

This was not good. I had to think of something. Needed a plan. I couldn't just stay in the car and let him deliver me like they did crates of drugs. I wasn't something inanimate they could just pass around. I was a human being, and I was going to fight.

On second thought, maybe I wasn't in the best condition to fight, I could hardly stand up without a shock of pain rippling through me let alone take on a group of men trained and armed to kill me.

I readied myself to jump. This would be my first plan. Tuck and roll, if I was lucky, which I'm sure I wasn't, he wouldn't even notice. If he did notice, which I'm sure he would, I'd just have to be faster than him. Unlikely in my currently state but the trees were definitely going to play to my advantage. I could hide or even climb. If the door was unlocked. It was all locked up when the Bonanno took us before, but maybe Simone wasn't as smart as the men who had taken us that day.

If the door was locked, like it probably would be, I'd try to dig my bare hands into the seat and hopefully Alessio would have had some sort of gun stashed inside. If this didn't work either, I would have to face them head on and unarmed. Not something that would play to my benefit.

This was going to hurt. That much I was sure of. I was already stiff and sore and bruised all over. I ached in places I didn't know could ache. The wreck had banged me up, but I had no choice. God, please let the adrenaline fuel me now. After everything, all of this, I wasn't ready to go. Not like this.

I pulled on the handle, the door opened and I couldn't deny being just a little bit surprised. I tucked my head down and rolled out of the car, off the road and into the high grass.

It took me a second to pull myself up but when I did I saw the car pull to a screeching halt. Fȕck. He'd noticed. Not surprising, but still disappointing.

I turned and sprinted, heading in the direction of the woods. They would be much easier to hide in than the grass.

My only thought as I ran, sure that I was going to die, was how mad Alessio was going to be.

I ducked behind a tree when I heard running and twigs snapping a bit too close for comfort. I covered my mouth to keep in any exhausted pants I may have had.

"Kate! Kate! Where are you?" Simone was yelling through the woods. I pressed my back futher against the tree and closed my eyes for only a moment. He sounded frantic. If he came to the Bonanno empty handed they would be pissed, but if I made it home to Alessio and told him about this he would be beyond pissed. Either way, Simone was screwed if he didn't find me. I couldn't let him find me.

I had only lost reception a few minutes ago. If I could make it back down the way we'd come I could hit a spot with signal and call for back up. If he caught me, maybe Nash knew of this plan and would be around to save me the way he always did.

Every single plan or solution that came to mind relied solely on luck.

When his voice seemed distant again I started running again back the way I'd come. I looked over my shoulder to see if he was following me, he wasn't and at that moment I tripped as I passed between the woods and to the grass again. The change in the ground had caught me off guard.