Chapter 1

Paige POV

About damn time. That is my thoughts with senior year starting. After dealing with my parents going through a divorce, I have never been more ready to leave this town behind. Hell, my mom left the second she could when word got out about the affair she was having with her coworker for over a year.

My mom moved away, not being able to face the consequences at her job. She didn't like the town talking about her in a negative light either. She cares too much about her image.

I was afraid she would make me move with her. As much as I want to leave this town as well, I don't want to start at a new school for my last year of school.

I had to spend all summer at my mom's new house. She had a new guy, so she had zero time for me. It sucked, so I spent my time locked away in my room there.

Now school is about to start, and I'm back at my dad's house. I honestly thought my mom would fight for me to stay, but I could tell she didn't want me there.

Now that I'm home, I'm curious to see what has all changed. I stayed in touch with Alexis, but that was it. A summer away at our age can make a significant difference. It makes me nervous for school to see everyone else.

I got back to my dad's last night and school starts today. Getting in late didn't give me a chance to see anyone beforehand either.

I leave my house in jean shorts and a t-shirt. I wanted to wear a tank because it's still hot, but I want to get a feel on how this year's dress code is going to be monitored first.

I get in my Jeep, a perk from the divorce, and head to school. My thoughts start going crazy as I think about who I'm most excited to see other than Alexis.

Scott, my ex is not high on my list. We broke up after I heard about my parent's affair. We weren't together that long, so neither of us were hurt over it. I knew I was not in the right mind space to be in a relationship.

Derek however, he is who I want to see. I want to see what a summer away has done to him. He is about six feet tall, brown shaggy hair with gorgeous brown eyes. He is the hottest guy at our school by far.

He is also the star football, basketball, and baseball player. He is the total package. I cannot wait to see how the summer treated him.

As I pulled into the school parking lot, I noticed Alexis's vehicle was here. I look around, but don't see her. I get out of my car and grab my stuff. I sigh, feeling down. I guess she didn't miss me.

I walk towards the school feeling alone. I ended my junior year with all the friends a girl could want. Now here I'm walking into my senior year alone. I guess it's my fault for not making an effort to stay in touch with everyone.

I walk down the hall and find where my locker is. I put my combination in and try to open it. I tried three more times and nothing.

My frustration gets the best of me. I slam my hand against my locker and shout. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

I hit it two more times before trying again. As I lift it finally opens. As the door opens, two balloons come floating out.

I turn around as I hear a group of people yell out. "Welcome home!"

Alexis is standing there with my other main friends. A smile stretches across my face. I go and give each of them a hug but give Alexis the longest.

"Did we surprise you?" Alexis questions as we break apart.

I nod, "Yes! I thought no one cared about me anymore. I thought you all used this summer to forget about me."

I hear a guy's voice. "Now how could we forget about you?" I noticed it was Scott. "It's good to see you, Paige." He smirks before walking away.