Chapter 26

Paige POV

We are leading by one with the score being three to two. We are the away team, and it's the bottom of the seventh. There are two outs. The other team has a runner on third and second. If we can get one more out, we will remain undefeated. The team we are playing is also undefeated and ranked number two in state.

Callie pitches the ball. The batter swings and makes great contact. The ball is sailing deep between center and left.

I drop back running as fast as I can to get under it. There is no way I'm going to get to it.

I glance at Jordyn who is sprinting as well to go for the ball. I try to stop myself as I see we are about to run into each other. It's too late.

I try to brace myself for the impact that's about to happen. I lower my head and my shoulder. My shoulder and body make full contact to Jordyn's midsection as we collide going full speed.

I fall straight to the ground with shooting pain through my arm. I lift my head up and see Jordyn is a good distance away. The way I ran into her and dipped my shoulder, I must have caused her to fly back.

I hear the other team cheering as I look and see the ball is on the ground.

Suddenly I see my teammates around Jordyn and me.

"Are you okay?" Our assistant coach who is kneeled by my side asked.

I nod. "I'm fine." I'm not worried about the pain in my arm right now.

My concern is for Jordyn who I can hear gasping for air.

I got helped up by a couple of my teammates. I go over to where everyone is as they surround Jordyn. Coach is waving us to back off a bit.

"Breathe slowly." The coach instructs Jordyn.

I stand by Callie and put my arm around her. I can see she is worried as is everyone else.

Jordyn tries to sit up, but the coach stops her. "Lay back Jordyn and catch your breath."

Jordyn POV

The ball is hit deep between Paige and me. It's deep, but I have the speed to catch it. I kick in full speed as I try to get under the ball. If we were on our normal fields this ball would have been a home run.

I don't hear Paige call me off, so I keep running. I feel that I'm going to be inches short, so I go to lunge for the ball. The ball hits my glove and as I go to squeeze my hand to make sure it doesn't come out I feel a huge impact right in my stomach.

The pain is unbearable. I can't breathe. I start freaking out and still can't catch my breath. I see the coach standing over me.

"Breathe slowly." He says to stay calm.

I'm in total panic mode. I'm going to die. I try to get up, but the coach stops me.

"Lay back down Jordyn and catch your breath." He still sounds completely calm.

I lay back down  and put my arms over my head. I close my eyes and try to concentrate on my breathing. After a couple of minutes, my breathing is back to normal. Getting the wind knocked out of you is one the scariest feelings ever. I finally sat up and then got up to my feet. Alexis comes and puts her arm around my waist to help me walk.

"Sorry for dropping the ball." I tell her realizing we lost the game.

Alexis laughs. "You get hurt and you apologize? You had the ball, but Paige knocked it out when you guys ran into each other. It wasn't either of your faults. You both almost made the impossible play."