Chapter 8

Paige POV

It's Sunday night and I have been trying to get my homework done I have put off all weekend. I'm struggling to focus on my work as my mind keeps going to Jordyn.

Did I go too far by kissing her? My lips reacted to my heart instead of my brain. At least when she did it, she was drunk. What was my excuse?

Do I have real feelings towards Jordyn that go beyond a friendship? It has never crossed my mind that I could have feelings for a girl before.

Jordyn has many qualities that draw me in. Jordyn always has a smile on her face. She has a huge heart and gives people more than they deserve.

She is complex. You have to break through to get to know her, which keeps me interested. We have a lot of random things in common. I don't feel like I have to be a certain way around her. It's like for once, being Paige Gregory is enough.

I sigh. I need to stop. She has a boyfriend.

I ran upstairs to get a drink. While pulling out a bottle of water, I hear the front door open.

I walk towards the living room. My eyes light up as my dad appears. I don't recall the last time I have physically seen him.

He stumbles his way through the door barely keeping his balance. I rushed over to him when it looked like he was about to fall.

"Are you drunk?" I question as I grab a hold of his arm to balance him.

He pushes my hands away from him. "I don't need your fucking help!" His words were cold. "Get the hell away from me."

I quickly backed away from him. I grab my drink and run to my room.

Why is he so angry at me? I thought he would be happy to see me.

I finish my homework trying to forget about the encounter with my dad.

I lay in bed and try to sleep, but my whole body is shaking.

*Crash*

I fly out of bed and run upstairs. I turned the lights on in the living room and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I rush to my dad who is laying on the ground where the coffee table is smashed under him.

"Are you okay?" I'm in complete disbelief.

I noticed his head was bleeding and a cut on his arm.

He tries to get up but fails. "God damnit. Get me off the ground." He demands.

I put my hand under his arm trying to get him up. He wasn't helping much. He isn't the smallest man in the world and I'm struggling. I get him to the couch where he lays down.

"Do you need me to get you anything?"

He puts his arm across his face so it covers his eyes. "No, go to bed. I'm sorry Paige."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I watched him drift off to sleep.

"Why are you doing this to yourself?" I question softly so he can't hear.

I grab a blanket and cover him up.

I woke up the next morning feeling like I got no sleep. I got ready for school then headed upstairs to leave.

When I went upstairs, I was sad to see my dad was gone. I grab something to eat and head out.

As much as I don't want to be at school, maybe it will be a good distraction for now.

I pull into my normal parking spot to find Alexis waiting for me. The second I get out of my Jeep she starts with questions.

"Where were you this weekend?" She asks.