Chapter Three

I slowly step out of the car, my earphones dragging on the seat. I toss my iPod on the backseat, not wanting to carry it. I look up at the house, a look of apprehension on my face. This is my new life, and so far it doesn't look good.

I follow my parents to the front door. My dad sticks the key in keyhole and turns the lock. It clicks open. He opens the door and steps inside. My mom goes in after him, and I go in after her. Our new house is packed with boxes, waiting to be unpacked.

I walk out of the foyer and into the living room. Our new living room is very spacious. The walls are a nice creme color with a white carpet. It would easily hold our dark brown couch, glass coffee table, 36 inch TV and the stand that holds our many DVDs, and our grandfather clock. There would be space to spare which will be nice.

A little hallway connects the living room to the kitchen. In the little hallway is a small closet. The walls stay their creme color, but the floor changes to a smooth tile instead of a carpet. I walk into the kitchen and am surprised to find a stainless steel refrigerator, sink, and stove. Around the stainless steel, there are dark, cherry oak cabinets and drawers. This kitchen is bigger, and nicer, than the one at my old house. Well, too bad, I don't like to cook.

On the other side of the kitchen, there is another big room. I assume we are going to make this room the dining room. Creme is still the color of choice but the floor changes back to its white carpet. The dining room connects back to the foyer. To the left of the front door is the living room, to the right is another hallway.

I walk down it to find multiple doors. The first one to my right is a small bathroom. The brown walls are a nice change to see. Closing that door, I walk a couple of feet and open the door on the left. I am met with an empty garage that smells like gasoline and is filled with dust. I close that door and walk to the end of the hallway, which is only a few feet away from the garage. Opening the last door, I find the laundry room. I wrinkle my nose, smelling detergent and lint. I close that door and walk back to the foyer.

Right in front of the foyer, a few feet left of the front door, are the stairs that lead to upstairs. Walking up them, I notice there are very few rooms up here. At the top of the stairs, there is an open hallway that looked down to the foyer. Making a left, I walk into what must be the master bedroom. It is huge. In the bedroom, there are two more rooms. Opening them up I find a nice master bathroom and a walk in closet. All the walls are creme colored and the floor in the bedroom and closet is a white carpet, with white tiles in the bathroom. I guess there's a trend.

Shaking my head in jealousy, I leave the doors open as I walk out of the master bedroom, across the hall, to find my room. Instead of having a connecting bathroom, mine is again across from my bedroom. I sigh and walk into my room. My attitude immediately changes. This room is huge. Not as big as my parent's room, but certainly bigger than my last room. Sadly, like my parent's room, it's creme colored with white carpet. In the middle of the room I turn to see another closed door next to the now opened door. I slowly walk toward it, expecting something to jump out at me. Instead, I open the door to find my own walk in closet.

"Yes!" I shout.

"Evangeline, where did you go?" My mom yells from somewhere downstairs.

"I found my room." I yell back, still in my walk in closet.

"Great! Now you can come back downstairs and get the stuff for your room." Mom yells, smugness in her tone.

I groan. Unpacking wasn't as bad as packing, but it's still a pain in the ass. I walk out of my closet, out of my room, across the hall, and bound down the stairs.

"Okay," my dad starts, "the boxes that have your name on them, Evangeline, are yours."

"Obviously." I say. He continues like he didn't hear me.