IX - I Can't Change

February 22nd, 2016

I just watched The Night Manager last night aND IT WAS AMAZINGGGGGGG

Well. Enjoy. :D

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Nine

She had wanted to go back to her chambers and sleep, but couldn't bring herself to do so. Sleep was for those that didn't have anything on their minds to keep them awake.

Seline was now at one of the balconies, sitting on the stone railing. She had managed to get herself more than a few bottles of ale, thanks to Ace and his habit of keeping the alcohol cellar in the kitchen unlocked. It took a lot for a vampire to get drunk, but she was on her fourth bottle now, and she was pretty damn close to intoxicated. Asgardian ale was stronger than she thought it was.

She heard heavy footsteps behind her, and turned to see Prince Thor.

"Excuse me," he said, looking surprised. "I didn't know anyone would be here at this time."

She shrugged her shoulders a little. "Well, my lord, after the events of this day I simply couldn't sleep. I have a feeling the same problem plagues you as well."

He nodded once, moving to stand beside her, a concerned expression on his face. "Perhaps you should come off the railing, miss..."

"Seline. And don't worry, even if I fell, I wouldn't die," she said, then looked down at the ground, which was at least fifty feet down. They were on the fourth floor of the castle.

"Ah..." he chuckled. "You must be THE Seline. The girl that my brother speaks about."

"He speaks about me?" She asked, taking another drink of the ale.

He nodded. "Yes, quite often, too."

"I wonder why," she sighed, looking back out at the view of the city. "I'm not that interesting."

"On the contrary," he said. "If what Loki tells me is true, then you are currently the greatest mystery on Asgardian soil."

"How so?"

"You have secrets that even the God of Mischief and Lies can't figure out."

"Maybe he's better at lying than he is at guessing," she said.

"Or maybe your secrets are the only thing keeping you alive," he stated. "Which is why you are so good at hiding them."

She wanted to tell him he was wrong. But her intoxicated mind wouldn't let her. Instead, she just laughed.

"And here I thought you were the God of Thunder and Lightning, not Wisdom."

He chuckled. "You flatter me, milady."

"I'm not a lady," she said. "I'm your brother's servant."

"Really? Are you sure that is your only meaning?"

"Not entirely, I suppose."

He nodded once. "Seline, I have never seen my brother act the way he does around you."

"How else would he act?"

"Well, for starters, he actually bothers to remember your name."

"It's not a hard name to remember."

"He showed you the library."

"I would have seen it eventually."

"He wants to bring you to the ball the Allfather is throwing the night before my departure."