The Bare Minimum - Gallavich

College AU Oneshot: Mickey is an art student at the University of Chicago and one day he (literally) runs into a very attractive redhead. They flirt briefly and then go their separate ways until the attractive redhead turns up in Mickey's life-drawing class... as the inspiration for that lesson's work. The topic? The human body.

It wasn't easy being an art student. For one, every time Mickey lit up a cigarette people kept expecting him to start sprouting some bullshit philosophical crap, which he just did not do. Another thing was that people kept asking him what he was going to do after college.

Apparently "fuck my way to the top" is not an acceptable answer to that one.

Not to mention, everyone always seemed to get him wrong, pegging him for some kind of engineering guy, sometimes even IT. No one ever guessed that the guy with 'fuck u-up' across his knuckles was a visual arts major.

But he liked it that way.

He was on his way to one of his art theory classes, late of course. Anything with 'theory' in the title was asking for him to show up twenty minutes late.

He had a large coffee in one hand and his books in the other as he tried to navigate his way across campus.

He may or may not have been rushing because while he hates being on time, he can't afford to have his lecturer snapping at him for the third time in as many weeks.

He turned a corner quickly and as he went he collided with someone else, his coffee falling from his hand and crashing to the floor, the lid popping off and spilling all over the pavement.

"Shit!" they both said at once, Mickey because that was his morning dose of caffeine and the other guy, presumably, because it went all over his shoes.

"Sorry about that," the guy said.

Mickey looked up from his spilled coffee grumpily and did a double take.

This guy was gorgeous, properly beautiful and with the most impressive bone structure Mickey had seen possibly in his lifetime. He was tall with striking red hair and as he looked up a few loose strands fell over his face.

"That was my breakfast," Mickey said quickly, hoping it hadn't been too long since the guy said anything. "Probably lunch if I'm honest."

"Yeah well now it's my shoe polish," he said with a slight smile.

Mickey shrugged. "They look like nice shoes, I'm sure you can afford to get 'em shined up nice."

"Just because I've got nice shoes doesn't mean I didn't work hard for them," he said and Mickey chuckled a little.

"Yeah, yeah, you owe me another one," he said.

"Is that your way of asking me to get a coffee with you?" the guy said with an arrogant smile and this time Mickey let out an outright laugh.

"Jesus, you're fucking bold," he said.

"You've got to be bold nowadays," he said. "I'm Ian."

He held out his hand and Mickey shook his head as he took it with his now coffee-free hand.

"Mickey," he said. "And I said you owe me one, as in you get one for me, not with me."

"Come on, you can't be that busy," Ian said.

"No I was just rushing around corners for the thrill of it," he said and Ian's lip curled into another cocky smile.

"So it was your fault?" he said.

"Hey, your seven foot ass should have been watching where it was going," Mickey said.

"I'm not seven foot, not quite," he said with a little shrug. "Besides, maybe walking into you was by design."