Coming Home - Sterek

A/N: Okay so this is a short Sterek one-shot, first posted on AO3, let me know what you think!

AU: No werewolves. Set when Stiles is 21 in Beacon Hills. Stiles has been off at college studying and has come back to visit and is staying with Isaac and Scott. He hasn’t seen Derek since he left, almost three years ago. He’s only in town for a week.

Stiles rubbed his eyes angrily as he heard the pounding at the front door. At 3am he wasn’t really expecting any visitors. How had Scott or Isaac not heard this? Maybe they had but just chose to ignore it.

                It wasn’t even his house and he was going to answer the door? Why? Welcome back to Beacon Hills Stiles.

He fumbled around looking for a set of keys, it was dark and for some reason he hadn’t thought to turn on a light on the way down the hall. His fingers latched around the cold metal and he turned to the door, clumsily unlocking the wooden deadlock and pulling the fly-wire back.

“Do you have any idea what time it is?” Stiles snapped at the dark figure with his back to the door.

As he turned around to put a face to the voice Stiles felt his chest tighten and his breath was cut short. He knew that face, that square jaw and grey-green eyes… and that same leather jacket that he was sure hadn’t changed in three years.

“I thought I might find you here.” Derek said as he leant on the wall.

“What are you – why are you here?” Stiles said, his face turning to stone and his stomach churning as all of the memories he’d tried so hard to forget flooded him again.

Derek gave him a goofy smile before he stumbled forward and crashed into the door.

“Holy shit – are you drunk?” Stiles said as he watched Derek wave his hand dismissively and walk, scratch that, stumble through the door. “Well by all means, come on in!” he said sarcastically as he locked up the door again.

He followed Derek down the hall just in time to see him collapse on the couch and squint in the new light as Stiles flicked the switch. He could finally get a good look at him, and he hadn’t changed a bit. He was still wearing the same clothes and had the same hair-cut as always but something was different about him.

Derek looked up at him with a lopsided grin and Stiles shook his head. This couldn’t be the man he left behind all those years ago. Just thinking about the last time he saw Derek made him get angry at the fact that he was here right now.

“You never told me you were coming back.” He slurred.

“Why would I?” He replied.

He tilted his head to the side but Stiles wasn’t amused.