The Magic Quill, pt. 2

Harry’s journey back to Hogsmeade was quick; he was filled with a new confidence at his success, and wouldn’t let anything stand in his way. He traveled back to 1971, then Apparated away. Harry went to the home where he had recorded his supposed current address. Sure enough, when he went inside, a crisp yellow letter was waiting for him. In emerald green print it read:

Mr. Jacob Walker

509 Loyola Drive

Shropshire, England 

Harry opened it, delighted that the spell had worked. It was the standard letter, there was nothing that suggested anyone was suspicious of him. He couldn’t help grinning at the good news; it was one less thing he had to worry about. Sure, there were other things he’d have to sort out eventually, but for now he could be satisfied that he had accomplished something. Moreover, he was able to go to Hogwarts. 

He was just at the peak of his relief and excitement when he noticed a second envelope, which had been half hidden underneath the doormat. He tried to convince himself that it wasn’t what he thought it was, that it was just normal Muggle mail. But he couldn’t control the sinking feeling of what it might contain. He picked up the envelope, labeled just as the first was. His suspicions were confirmed as he began reading the neat print: 

Dear Parent(s) or Guardian(s) of Mr. Jacob Walker,  

Because you have not been home, and your whereabouts are unknown, a witch/wizard could not contact you to discuss your son’s future. We will attempt to return on 15th August. If you are still not home, we will leave a book explaining the wizarding world to you. It can only be opened by someone of magical ability to ensure its secrecy. We would dispatch a wizard to find you personally, but we are very backed up with other business.

Harry considered this. What did “other business” mean? Dealing with the rise of Voldemort? Other Muggle-borns? Did they suspect him? It wouldn’t surprise him if they did, since they couldn’t find him! This must be a first: they could find the Dursleys when they were in the middle of nowhere…so wouldn’t they know something wasn’t adding up? The good news from the second letter was that he could get away without having to bewitch a couple into thinking they’re his parents—he’d simply avoid the house on the 15th, and be done.  

Harry skimmed the rest of the letter, which held nothing of importance. He stood, considering the situation. Although being an orphan would ideally be a lot easier than pretending to belong to a family, he would never be able to Apparate ahead in time during the summer without someone noticing he was gone. Harry had already committed to at least an entire school year, maybe more, in order to change the past. He pictured himself spending more time than that, coming to the present as an old man. He at least owed a few years of his life to help people, to repay his debt to all the people he had endangered. But that didn’t mean he had to stay longer than necessary. 

He had to save time in the summer to make up for the age he’d gain during school. That meant being in a day at three hours tops, or preferably not at all. Hopefully, he could spread himself out for no more than five days in his time over the next month. Harry would only spend time becoming Snape’s friend, not stalking him and Lily. 

He dug into his bag and pulled out a sandwich, eating it quickly. He wiped his hands and got ready before he set off to eleven in the morning on the next day. 

Harry made sure the house showed no sign that anyone had been here, then left.

Over the next few weeks, Harry fell into a rhythm. He met Snape, or rather Severus, as he was now used to calling him, right after hung out with Lily. Each day he use a different way to get a bit closer to knowing the seemingly unreachable boy.