The Love Potion, pt. 2

On their way to dinner on March 7th, Raven fell into pace with Harry. “Remus asked me to help out with his transformation tonight. Apparently James and them have to work on a project. He wouldn’t tell me what it was.” 

“Okay.” Harry angled his body to make room for a group of Ravenclaws.

“Oh—right, I brought it up because I want you to come as well. But, use some sort of spell to conceal yourself. If something happened, and I couldn’t help him…” 

“Why don’t you want him to know I’m there?” 

Raven was at once uncomfortable. “He asked me expressly. Also, I don’t want him to think I’m avoiding him or anything.” 

“No, of course.” Was it because, despite trying to convince Harry she believed otherwise, Raven thought Remus liked her? 

Raven met Remus in the Shack after dinner; he had skipped the meal to help James, Sirius, and Peter with the project they needed to work on.

Harry followed close behind the two, then retreated upstairs. He sat down by the hole in the floorboards and peered down. 

Remus crossed to one side of the room. “I have to, you know, make sure none of my clothes rip or anything, so, do you mind…?”

“Oh! Sure, yeah.” Blushing, Raven turned around. Harry leaned back so his view was obscured. He could still see Raven transform through the gap. A minute later, Remus walked toward her, form hunched, body gray and thin. Raven, in wolf form, stood her ground and waited for him to recognize her. When he did, he ran in a little excited circle and scampered to the other side of the room. Raven hesitated, paw raised, then trotted after him. 

Harry watched them for a moment, then got up, created a space to write and sleep, and settled down for the night.

“Raven?” 

Harry awoke at her name, spoken by Remus downstairs, and put on his glasses. He pulled on the Invisibility Cloak, walked to the hole, and peered down. Remus was dressed, mostly; he held his shirt in his hands, one arm reaching through a gaping rip in the fabric.

Raven stirred, then transformed back into her human form. “G’morning.” She tucked a spiral of hair behind her ear, stood, then noticed his situation. “Oh, right, you picked your shirt up and sort of tore at it, accidentally. Sorry, I couldn’t do much to…”

“It's fine.” Remus crossed the room to her. “Do you know any spell that could fix it?” 

“Maybe. I have a lot of free time over the summer so I’ve learned a few things, but I wasn’t able to practice…” Raven drifted off, uncomfortable under his gaze and by the fact that he was half-naked. She used getting out her wand as an excuse to step backward. 

“Conset confuges.”

Remus held up the shirt, which was now sealed along the tear. “Thanks.” He shot her a sheepish little half-smile before pulling it over his head. 

Harry cast a Muffling spell to silence his footsteps and moved downstairs. When he reached the doorway on the main floor, he stopped in surprise. 

Remus’ hand touched Raven’s cheek as he kissed her. She was tilted back in shock and had placed a hand on his chest, as though she’d intended to keep him from coming closer. After a moment, Remus pulled back, face hot with embarrassment. 

“I’m—I’m sorry,” Remus said, eyes wide, searching her face. 

Raven hugged him, and when she let go, she kept one hand on his shoulder. “You don’t have to…don’t apologize. Please.”