Hero Again, pt. 2

Raven and Harry took the Hogsmeade path to get to the school. Apparently there had been some consideration of removing the Anti-Disapparition Jinx that had been cast on Hogwarts. Many people were tired of living in fear, but even more wanted to put higher security measures into place.

“How long will five years worth of memories last? Can you trim it down?”

“I’ll do my best. Maybe Dumbledore can help.” 

They crossed the grounds and the halls of Hogwarts, eventually reaching Dumbledore’s office. 

“Fizzing Whizbees,” Raven said. “Last year Albus gave me advice on searching for Severus. He told me to use this password.” They reached the top of the staircase. Dumbledore’s office was only slightly different from how Harry remembered. 

“Ah, Harry, Raven. How are you?” 

Harry turned toward the voice and studied the portrait, which was slightly more vibrant than he remembered from his own time. 

“I’m all right, Albus.” Raven nudged Harry forward.

“I’m fine, sir. Er, you?” 

“Call me Albus. And I’m doing well, thank you.” 

Harry nodded, contemplating what to say. 

“Something troubling you, Harry?” Albus asked, just as Harry took out the Time-Turner. Albus leaned forward in astonishment. “You merged the times. I’ve been waiting to meet you since we discovered who had written the letters. Please, tell me what happened.” 

Harry briefly filled Albus in, focusing on the original timeline and why he wanted certain things to change. “Now I’m not sure if the Time-Turner should be destroyed.” 

Albus steepled his fingers. “What do you think, Raven?” 

“I think it’s too powerful. Consider the Elder Wand. In Harry’s time, it’s why Severus was murdered. Generations of people died because of it, and that was enough to hide it. But this, the Time-Turner, could cause immeasurable damage, so more severe action should be taken.” 

“And Harry, why do you think it should not be destroyed?”

“We might need it, in the future.”

Albus nodded. “Why not keep it hidden? That is a reasonable compromise.”

“Because I don’t want anyone who knows about it now to find it. Especially Severus.” 

“If you only trust yourself with its power, is it worth keeping?” 

Harry considered this. Part of him didn’t even trust himself to decide when changing time was absolutely necessary. There was a chance he would spend the rest of his life tweaking little mistakes; every sudden death of a friend, every wrong thing said to Ginny, every broken vase. 

Raven rested a hand on Harry’s shoulder, removing him from his thoughts. Nearly decided, Harry asked Albus, “Do you remember how to recreate this?”

“I do.”

Harry chewed his lip. “If something needs to change, I’ll fix it after. I know now that I have the power to change things, but I have to focus on how I can change the future, not the past. And if something happens that cannot be changed without the Time-Turner, and the world suffers because of it, then we can make another one.” 

Albus nodded. “I am glad I—or rather, my other self—has been able to help you.”

“Yeah. I can’t thank him, so I’ll thank you.” Harry looked between Albus and Raven. “I’m not going to destroy it yet. I want to look for Severus, and see the others. Before that, though, Du—I mean, Albus, how should I show my memories to Raven? I have five years of memories…”