Before: The Beast

In this chapter: 'Her'(unnamed girl for now) and Cassy

"Fuck you, you fucking asshole. I need you out of my fucking house." A mother's voice rang through the walls, then the door slams.

Cassy listened to the commotion in the building early morning and shook her head. She and her little sister stood by the door. Her sister was ready to leave to school. And parents in the building couldn't wait till their kids were out of their hairs.

"Crazy, I tell you. Crazy." Cassy comments, pointing up the stairs. There were others that attended the same high school as her little sister in the building, and she never liked most of them.

"Do you think you'll be okay? You really need to start facing your fears, and school is a good way to tackle that."

Her little sister stared back at her. There was something in her eyes that was raw and unsaid. Something horrifying. Ignorantly one sided.

"I am." She whispered. And the words had more meaning than one would assume.

"Listen," Cassy said, her smile not as true this time. "life will treat you better than what this family shoved down your throat. I promise."

Her little sister closed her eyes. and tears jerked out uncontrollably. She pursued her lips, trying to stop her pain from showing on her face, to not let the weakness that haunted her show so well on her. It was the thing she was able to wear effortlessly–vulnerable weakness.

And Cassy stood there, watching. Her lips trembling, her throat swollen as she held back her emotions. But holding strong. She couldn't. She wouldn't. No. Fucking no. No. No. No. Stop. Please...

"Please don't let me go." Her little sister said one last time.

Cassy smiled through clenched teeth. "I'll be home when you come back. Let's do everything you want to do, okay?" She lied. She had to. She only had yesterday off for Martin Luther's King day, and she had to be back in New Jersey by afternoon.

The tears instantly dried up on both of their faces and now they emptily stared at one another.

A smile.

A sigh.

A hug.

Love. Love. Love. Broken in triangles and squares. Broken in memories woven with desires to forget.

"You know, I saw him." Cassy said.

"Who?"

"The beast."

"Oh." What was his name again?

"Cade. His name's Cade. I had the biggest crush on him last year. I saw him yesterday. I tried talking to him, but he walked off like I didn't fucking exist."

"The love of your day dreams, you called him." Her little sister never really liked talking about him, never really liked him in general. Something about him always set her off, but she respected that Cassy was in love. Actually, if she could, she would stir a magic potion and make him fall hopelessly in love with Cassy. That's how much she adored her big sister. That's how much she knew of her big sister's wishful love.

"One day, we're going to be together. And you'll see. You're going to have two purely fucked up family members." Cassy meant it. She was that haunted with that devil.

"I hope to have moved out by then. Living alone with my turtle and books. The last thing I need is that scary being around me. Its one thing if its school students my age, its another when a school student who's twenty one and hasn't attended a day of school is living in the same house as me. Why's he even enrolled if he's not going to try and attend?"

"Its the jealousy talking. You want to be in his place." Cassy retorted, ruffling her sister's hair. "Now go. You're going to be late."

Cassy watched as her little sister walked off.

She closed her eyes shut.

Her heart squeezed.

I'm sorry babe. Life's fucked up, and we're all one of its outlets.

Who do you think should play Cassy?

Who do you think should play 'her little sister'?

Follow me on Instagram. I post future sneak peeks! I'm @joprbooks on everything

Amazing Cover in this chapter is by Me_For_President_