Before: 1 - 3 - 2 - Action

In this chapter: Cade and Jayden (Guys, I promise we're almost done with introducing the previous lives of all those that will be stuck in the collapse

In this chapter: Cade and Jayden (Guys, I promise we're almost done with introducing the previous lives of all those that will be stuck in the collapse. Just hang on for another few chapters.)

I turned around.

Cade...

This must be him. I could see why this man thought we were brothers. Though some of our characteristics are different, his eyes blue and mine green, my long straight hair black and his long curly hair golden brown, we both had the same type of sculpted body and the edgy look of a skilled street fighter.

Looking at him up close now, there was something strange. He was not what I thought he'd be. I had given him at least twenty five years from afar, but the dude that stood in front of me was not more than two years older.

Cade, I was suddenly sure his name was, took the rifle from me and soundlessly, like a ghost, made his way to the man. He knelt next to him with the ease of air, and the sudden fright in the man's eyes was puzzling if not shocking.

What's going on?

"Nathan Lea Patterson. Octopus's gang. What a... very expected coincidence." He introduced the guy without taking his mask off.

My chest reacted to his voice like a kid watching a scary movie. It was unbelievable. Something unearthly.

It was the most empty voice I've ever heard. So flat, so numb, that for a moment I thought I heard what a dead man's voice sounds like. Not a drop of emotion was heard throughout his tone. It was so controlled that it made anyone listening to it swallow their own words and their heart to drop down to their feet.

And that was my first impression of him. Cade was unnatural.

The second was probably more of confusion driven than anything.

In my head, I was waiting for this Nathan guy to get the shit beat out of him. We all knew Cade was about to get shot. He knew he was about to lose his life. But...

He didn't seem to care.

And for whatever reason that made me feel sick in the stomach. Like the kind of sick that you feel when you watch someone put a gun in their mouth and bust their brains out. That kind of sick.

Fear slowly built in Nathan's body until it was apparent in his voice as it shook. "I didn't want to. They tried to persuade me with money. I said no. But then they threatened me, my wife—my kid. I had to. I told them I ain't for the job. Especially yours. They said it was easy, all I gotta do is aim and shoot. Then I'll get the money and they'll lay of my family—so sorry man, I swear you is the last thing I wanted to mess with. But it ain't in my hand. I'll never do it again, I swear..."

Cade stayed quite. Eventually he said "Who said that?"

"Octopus. Octopus said that." The man replied, becoming less tense at Cade's conversing tone.