Before: Behind The Curtain

In this chapter: John and Corrina ['HER' IS NOT IN THIS CHAPTER

In this chapter: John and Corrina ['HER' IS NOT IN THIS CHAPTER. DON'T BE CONFUSED XD] 

"Corrina!"

Her mom called for her. Corrina quickly closed off the show she was watching and deleted her history. The last thing she wanted is her mom finding out what she does in her private time.

"Yeah ma?"

She walked down the stairs, and skipped to the kitchen. Her smile was the most innocent beautiful thing one could see.

Her mom stood by the stove holding the pot cover with one mittened hand, and tasting the food with a spoon in the other. She looked over at Corrina and said, "made you your favorite. Butternut squash."

The smile on Corrina's lips faltered for a single second, however she quickly readjusted it before her mom could see.

"Oh man, thanks mom." Gritting her teeth, she added, "but you make it when we have guests..."

Her mom nodded, "oh yeah, John and his parents are coming to visit."

It wasn't an arranged marriage, not really. Corrina's parents were strict catholics. They go to church every Sunday and would rather no harm ever come close to their family. With her many Sunday school classes, came a day when parents were invited for a graduation ceremony. That's when they met.

The parents.

John and Corrina knew each other. By name mostly. That's about it. For whatever reason, John never really cared to get to know anyone on a personal level in the Sunday school. They were all there for two hours anyway. One day a week.

Then John and Corrina's parents met.

And they talked.

The next time Corrina saw John was at her house.

They sat across from each other on the dinner table and Corrina will never forget that day. The way she had to smile hurt the bottom of the back of her head. It was fake. Fake smiles and laughter. Fake small talk and so much discomfort it could break sanity.

But she did her best to show her best. That's what her parents always taught her.

John stared at her that day, and only did it once: when she banged her toe off the leg of the table, pain punching her guts in as she quietly limped to the kitchen, a smile undoubtedly stuck to her sorry face as she disappeared behind the counter, sat on the floor and sucked in her breath as her face finally relaxed into the agonizing expression that she felt.

Fuck

After they left, her parents sat with her and endlessly complimented John. They couldn't stop talking about him. How he loved his religion and how he followed it beautifully. How his manners were idealistic for all boys his age and how he would make a great family man one day.

Apparently, John's parents thought the same of Corrina.

They visited.

Again.

And again.

And again.

It was the one day they were invited for barbecue that John and Corrina had their first real talk. They stood by the tree in their backyard, letting the grownups have their own private discussions on how corrupt the world is becoming.

He twirled his bunch of keys in his finger. "You go to Blue River High, right?" His tone indicated his dislike for the public school.

Corrina smiled and nodded. "Its not the best around, but it does its job. " She felt like she needed to defend.

Silence.

"I think your mom mentioned you go to a private school...?"

He looked over at Corrina and pursed his lips. She noticed a little distaste in his expression, but it was hidden well. She didn't understand it, but it did something to her. Made her feel insecure.

"Yeah." Is all he said.

She nodded and looked away.

"What do you think their up to?" He asked. He was staring back at the adults, huddled together like school girls gossiping, nudging each other and pointing at the two.

"I don't know." I hope its not what I think.

His keychain slipped from his finger and hit him hard in the chest.

"Fuck!" He winced.

Corrina stared at him, eyes wide. Did he just cuss...

He looked at her. Looked away.

What the fuck am I doing here?

A year and a half later, and they are practically engaged now. It wasn't forced, or nearly as arranged, it just happened to be that way.

It was comfortable. He was hot. She was very pretty, cute, innocent, a heart of gold and everything needed from a woman in a relationship. She wasn't complaining. He knew it couldn't get any better than this. 

They both wanted to see what they could for each other.

Did that mean they loved each other? Not in the least bit, but they held attractions for one another that were undeniable. Deep infatuation. They did follow the strict rules of their parents, holding hands and hugging is okay, but other than that...

Hell will rise from beneath them.

Follow me on Instagram @joprbooks. I post future sneak peeks!

Amazing Cover in this chapter is by Me_For_President_