The Show-ers Not Grow-ers.

*sigh*

I give up.

If I have to read another description of a story that sounds like someone's eharmony account imma lose it.

Seriously people. Is this a trend? Are people that lack luster and dull that they can't possibly- possibly- find any other way of starting a story.

My original intentions of writing this story was aimed at the beginning of stories but geez is it more prevalent in people's description.

Before I confuse you, my dearest reader, anymore I shall (and happily I might ask) explain to you this ongoing pain in my ass.

Description:

"Meet Ashley Black...

No I will not. I want no part of-- getting carried away. Excuse.

"Meet Ashley Black. She thought she had everything going for her. The job? Check. The boy friend? Check. Everything was perfect. Right? Wrong."

Yes, wrong. Everything about that description is oh so wrong.

And least us not forgo the blame on the average reader. Yes. I mean you. Dear reader.  The fact you guys read these same nondescript stories just further promotes this, this problem.

Like I know creating exposition can seem somewhat of a daunting task but just throwing a bunch of facts like a dog at a competition isn't helping.

Gone are the days when stories could implicitly describe a character without being oh-so redundant and just, well..plain. Gone are the days when characters were three-dimensional and actually had development. Now it just seems as if I'm reading an ad, (no better yet: a mug shot if you will) where authors just

drop. Boring. Words. To. Describe. Something/someone.

If you're a writer I'm sure you have heard the phrase: "show don't tell".

And with anything in life there are some exceptions to the rule. And I use the word "rule" ever so lightly because writing is an art form. But like most art forms there is a certain standard and form that should be followed.

Example (these do not belong to me at all):

The little girl looked crabby. Clearly, naptime would be difficult.

This sentence gets right to the point, but nothing about it engages the reader. If this observation is important to the story, consider giving readers enough details to work out the connection for themselves.

  Instead try..

The brown-eyed little girl wore a plastic Viking cap, and her mouth was sticky from candy. Standing there in her orange dress-up gown, she was quite a sight. She looked more tired than I had ever seen a child look. But she was so very stubborn, I could clearly see we were headed for a battle.  

Average-ish writer: "Well I don't need to be so specific and in-depth with every scene in my story".

I'm going to spare you the details because, quite frankly, I could care less about teaching some of the few intellectuals that read this here book a lesson on more persuasive writing. This book is a rant and I don't get paid to do that. (Heck my mom is an English teacher and she doesn't get paid enough to).

I'm not saying you have to expertly describe the lone tree branch sitting outside your main character's window but if you're going to be describing your PROTAGONIST (whoa look out there SAT Vocab) you can at least be damn interesting about it. Because newsflash, no one cares about your white, doe-eyed, wavy hair, seemingly flawless character.