One

("CRIME SCENE.")

"I'm sorry, but I believe the beauty parlor is down the road

"I'm sorry, but I believe the beauty parlor is down the road."

A few dollar bills flashed before his eyes, and the man behind the counter seems to reconsider his words.

"I'm not looking for a beauty parlor."

"Last time I checked you were still underage, little Marsh girl," the man teases and watches as the girl in front of him leans against the counter. "So what brings you to a liquor store?"

"Well, Pete, technically," she begins nonchalantly, and her eyes briefly fixate on the brown bottles behind him, "my birthday's tomorrow, so by the time of consumption I'm not underage anymore. Second, and most importantly ― you've already sold me hooch before, smart-ass."

"Not officially," Pete discloses with a grin, and the girl can't help but let out a quiet laughter. He grows more paranoid by the day.

"What, is the sheriff on your ass again?"

"Can't ever be too careful."

"I'll take that as a yes."

The soft ring of the bell informs them of the appearance of two new customers ― two girls, a blonde and a brunette, dressed casually, a thin layer of sweat shining on their foreheads; a product of the natural southern heat. A subtle greeting slips past the brunette's lips before she marches to the refrigerators in the back, and the blonde shuffles up to Pete and the girl at the counter, picking up one of those lowbrow magazines that Pete stacks plenty of in the store.

"Alright, Pete, last offer," the girl at the counter decides with a deep inhale, impatient fingers tipping on the wooden surface, "I'll give you all my money, plus I'll stop by with the rest of my birthday cake tomorrow. What do you think about that?"

Pete shifts, raises his brows. "What kinda cake are we talkin'?"

She chuckles. "Strawberry cream."

"Now that's what I call a good offer." He gives the girl a nod, one that's rather amused than really matter-of-factly, and adds at last, "It's always a pleasure makin' deals with you, Amber Marsh."

Amber only sends him a lazy look, ignoring the hand he holds out for her to shake and instead turns around to head to the back, passing the blonde on her way.

In the back of the store, two out of three refrigerators are occupied; one by the brunette and one by a tall guy, engaged in a conversation with her.