XVII. ― BRAVADO

("WILL YOU BE MY END?")

Her heart pounds inside her rib cage like an animal trying to be freed

Her heart pounds inside her rib cage like an animal trying to be freed. The last time Amber saw Santanico, she had turned into one of those blood-sucking creatures and ripped out a biker's throat. She had manipulated Richie, and dragged him down her cruel machinations.

He died because of her.

One way or another, he might have; the life he was leading presupposed it. And as the Ranger shot him ― perhaps there was something karmic about it.

Ben is the first one to step into the dark room, only illuminated by candle light, with Amber following right behind him. In front of them stands Santanico Pandemonium in all of her glory ― more beautiful than ever, her skin glowing in the candle light. Her dark eyes fall on Amber the second she enters.

"I hear things, Ben." Santanico speaks slowly, patient, almost too calm. Her gaze wanders from the girl to him. "You should know that going behind my back means disrespecting me."

"I do not disrespect you, Kisa. You know that," Ben clarifies, straightening his posture.

Amber feels sick to her stomach, reminded of the fact that he is one of them ― a blood-sucking monster.

"She's my sister. I had to."

"I don't care who she is," Santanico hisses. "We have Narciso and the Nine Lords on our backs and I need you here and not in the tunnels."

"I delivered you all the information about Narciso, just as you wanted. Now, let me help my sister get out of here," Ben begs, the despair in his voice growing by the end of the sentence.

Santanico's eyes remain on Amber, before finally flickering to Ben. "Go now," she commands, without any sign of compassion on her sculpted face. Even though her strong facade seemed unbreakable, Amber can't imagine her to be as cold-blooded as she presents herself to be ― but yet again, she is a culebra, an unpredictable creature.

"What about my sister?" Ben step: closer now, but Santanico's eyes blaze dangerously. Everyone present in the room knows that if Ben made one step closer, he'd regret it.

"I will take care of her."

This is it. This is the end of things.

Amber's eyes jump to Ben, desperately trying to connect with them.

Despite the command, Ben doesn't moved yet. "Let her go, Kisa," he attempts now, his voice softer ― but Santanico doesn't seem affected in any way by it. She crosses her arms in front of her chest, narrowing her eyes at Amber's brother.