III. ― OUT OF HAND

THREE ― OUT OF HAND

THREE ― OUT OF HAND

("I CAN SEE NOW.")

          "Come on over and sit

"Come on over and sit."

Like the calm before a storm, Richie's voice was low and careful. Like he was testing the waters, but with such confidence that Amber found herself waver in a state of extreme wariness. Monica, the bank teller that was taken hostage besides her, hadn't seen what the younger Gecko was capable of ― yet.

The TV was running in the bedroom where Richie remained, echoing through the small motel room and indicating ― through the sound of it ―that the younger Gecko was watching cartoons.

"This ... couch is nice." Monica spoke slowly, attempting to disguise her fear through a veil of tranquility. She soon looked at Amber in search for her help, whereupon said person quickly shook her head, meaning for her to not go over to Richie ― under no circumstances, despite his invitation. Amber would rather listen to what Seth had told them, since he appeared to be the person in charge and with the clear head.

"You're not safe there," they heard Richie say. He slightly leaned over so he could see the girls in the other room sitting on the couch. His hands slowly tapped on the free seat next to him on the bed.

Monica turned to Amber again, the distress that was growing inside her displayed on her features.

"Don't." Amber formed the word with her lips, afraid she'd draw Richie's attention by making a noise. Since Seth had left, a bad feeling was constantly building up in her gut. She was convinced that Richie had to be watched with whatever he did ― even if this person he was watched by was Seth. Without Seth, being locked in a motel room alone with Richie wouldn't take a good turn, for sure. Even if he only had a small weapon with barely ammunition, there were plenty of other things he could do to them.

Looking back to Richie's tapping hand, Monica swallowed hard in fear.

"Come," Richie demanded again, this time more forcefully.