Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

_____________

 "Alex." I laughed as he took both hands off the wheel, his foot pressing down on the gas pedal harder. "Alex!" I screeched.

He grinned over at me, "Oh come on, it's fun."

"It's not fun, I'm afraid for my life." I clutched my chest but I had a gigantic smile on my lips.

Alex rolled his eyes and grabbed the wheel, "We should probably head back." He sighed. I looked at the clock and noticed it was nearing eight, sighing happily I leaned back into the seat and watched as the buildings blurred past us.

We had gone to the nearby bakery and bought donuts for everyone, which we almost ate as we drove around. I was having a great time with Alex, us just being us. But I knew that it wouldn't, couldn't, last forever.

He parked the car and I looked over at him. "Thanks for helping me." I gave him the remained of the smile I had.

"Don't mention it." He shook his head, his voice turning serious, "I mean it Lucy."

I laughed, touching his hand, he froze under my touch and I smirked. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

His eyebrows pulled together in confusion as I retracted my hand and stepped out of the car. I knocked on the door and it was quickly opened by a concerned looking Sydney. "There you are!"

Giving her a small smile I made my way into the room. "Do you have any idea how worried I was? I called you a bazillion times!"

"Sorry." I smiled, "I left my phone here, I didn't do it on purpose." I quickly added as she pursed her lips. "Besides I was fine."

Alex walked in, his facial expression neutral as he carried in the box of donuts. "And where were you?" Sydney turned to him.

His eyes flickered to me for a fraction of a second before they moved back to her. I grabbed my bag and listened to their 'fight'. "Getting these." He sighed gently tossing them on the bed.

"Alex." I scolded, "You could have ruined them."

He rolled his eyes but I saw his lips twitch at the corners as he fought a smile. "Dude." Harry groaned, "Are you ruining the donuts?" He walked in, his hair a mess but at least he was clothed. Justin was behind him, not wearing a shirt.

"Morning." His sleepy smirk placed on his lips. He walked to my side and gave me a hug. I uncomfortably hugged him back, the blush creeping on my face. I couldn't help it. It just happens sometimes.

Alex had his eyes narrowed slightly but said nothing. "Yum." Justin smiled, "Donuts."

I stood up quickly, "When are we leaving?"

"Every morning you ask that, is there something you're not telling us?"

"I just want to get to Cali already." I shrugged, grabbing a sugary donut.

"It's about the journey, not the destination." Harry rolled his eyes. We all laughed at him, apart from Alex who just smiled a bit.

After everyone was ready we finally checked out and made our way to the van. It was a different feeling being back in this car when only an hour ago it was just Alex and I having fun. I desperately wanted to seat in the front so we could joke around and talk but I knew we couldn't, I couldn't. Meeting Alex's eyes in the mirror once again I tried to give him a smile as Sydney climbed into the front seat. His attention turned to her and his expressionless eyes made me feel some sort of satisfaction.