Chapter One

Chapter One

______________

“Hurry your ass up, we haven’t got all day!” Alex called from outside while honking impatiently.

I ran out the screen door just as the sun broke over the trees, shining brightly in my eyes and I quickly pushed my sun glasses down.

“Lucy!” My mom rushed out onto the porch dressed in a pink bath robe and curlers still in her blonde hair. “You be good now.”

“Mom.” I whined picking up my bag off the porch ready to make a break for it.

“If you need anything, anything at all, just call,” She continued ignoring me, “and here.” she stuck out her hand.

“I-I don’t need that.” I told her as I stared at the cash in her hand.

“Good you haven’t left yet.” My dad came out of the house with his farm clothes on, ready to feed the animals.

“It’s for emergencies, please it will make me feel better.” My mom tried again. Alex honked signaling I needed to get going, “Please?”

I sighed pulling her into a hug, “Fine if it’ll make you feel better.” I smiled. I gave my dad a quick hug before I flew off the porch and ran as fast as I could to Alex’s red van.

I opened the side door throwing my bag in the seat, I turned around before getting in and waved at my parents who were holding each other. Watching as their only daughter left to  go halfway across the country.

“Lets go slow poke.” Justin laughed as I got in, shutting the door I kicked the back of his seat.

“Shut up.” I muttered as we drove back down my long gravel driveway.

“If you two are going to flirt the whole way you can get out now.” Alex growled.

“Dude relax,” Justin told him holding up his hands in surrender as my phone rang in my hand.

“Hey Syd.” I greeted my best friend excitedly.

“Where are you guys?” She asked annoyed. “My mom’s trying  to point out reasons why I should stay home this summer in hopes to make me change my mind.”

“Don’t worry we’re like two minutes from town with Alex’s crazy driving.” I laughed and Alex glared at me from the mirror.

“Ask her if Harry’s there, I only want to make one stop in town.” Alex told me as he slowed going into town.

“Is Harry with you?” I asked Sydney looking out the window at the tons of houses all lined up.

“Yeah he got here twenty minutes ago because I thought that was the time you were going to pick us up.”