Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

_____________________

  Sitting in the front seat of the familiar van, I felt my dream vacation rapidly coming to an end. Allowing myself a small sigh I looked at the ocean in the rearview mirror one last time. I was going to miss the place Alex first told me he loved me, where we were cuddled on the beach just after another attack from Andy.

I was going to miss Alex's carefree attitude because I know that he's not going to keep it up when we get home. I was going to miss hanging out as a couple. Laughing, kissing. I'm going to miss his warm body next to mine as I slept.

Sighing again, Justin caught my eye in the mirror as a smirk stretched across his face. "Stop." I hissed at him.

Alex opened the driver's door as Harry hopped into the back. "Syd's taking a plane home in a few days. So it's just us." Harry laughed.

Rolling my eyes I looked at Alex who was already looking at me. I leaned across the center console and gave him a quick kiss.

"Guys." Harry and Justin groaned with laughs at the same time. I smiled and took Alex's hand while he drove down the freeway.

Watching as the ocean was taken over by the tall buildings so I could no longer see the glistening water, I got a little sad. I kissed Alex's hand and he gave mine a squeeze.

Justin and Harry got bored after an hour so I turned up the radio and we sang along with most of the songs. Alex was annoyed because we were stuck in traffic.

"If you guys don't cut it out." He growled between clenched teeth.

"Alex, please calm down." I urged him with a smile. "What's the rush?"

He looked over at me and smirked, "You're right." He sighed.

"Of course I'm right." I laughed, leaning back against the headrest but keeping my eyes attached to his.

After another two hours stuck in traffic, I couldn't take it anymore. "Alex," I whined and he smirked.

"What happened to 'what's the rush?'" He mocked.

"That was hours ago!" I hissed, "When we haven't moved in nearly forty minutes, I'm just annoyed."

He laughed, "Wanna play a game?"

I eyed him skeptically, "What kind of game?"

His smirk sent my heart into a flutter as he leaned in. I found myself captivated by his eyes and leaned in as well. His lips brushed against my jaw and I felt his smirk widen as I trembled. "You're it."

"Hey!" I shouted as he opened the door and took off up the rows of cars. "Alex!" I screamed as I hurried to unbuckle my seatbelt. Justin and Harry laughed and took off after Alex. I struggled with the door, for a few seconds and then I hopped out after them.

I was laughing as I chased down Justin who was closest to me, I could hear people yelling at us that this wasn't a playground but I didn't care. Justin was taunting me around a car with small children who kept waving at us and I was instantly distracted. When I looked up Justin wasn't there anymore.

I found Harry, crouching down low a few cars ahead so I quickly ran up behind him. "You're it. No tag backs." I called over my shoulder as I took off running with a wide grin. We played tag for ten minutes when Justin had tagged Harry and they took off again. I was keeping an eye out when I couldn't see them anymore.

"Alex?" I called as the few people who had gotten out of their cars were getting back in. Panic rose inside of me and I spun around searching for my friends. "Alex?"