Chapter 30: Confused

We pulled away slowly, Michael still in daze and I was sure confusion was plastered over my face.

“Sam” He mumbled against my forehead.

I slowly moved back and looked up at him, trying to figure the new Michael out.

“How much did you change?” That had got to be one of the dumbest questions I have ever asked.

No one could answer how much they change, or in fact most people couldn’t even say they actually changed in the first place.

Now his face was plastered with confusion like mine had been minutes ago.

“Huh?” He asked stupidly.

Just what I had expected him to say. So maybe Michael hadn’t changed completely as he definitely hadn’t gotten smarter.

“I mean, like I think this is a new you, like after those 3 years, you’ve changed-” I pointed my hands at, hoping it would help explain.

He still looked at me confused.

“You know what, I’m kind of tiered I’m going to head back home, and maybe we can clear whatever is going on between us tomorrow. Kay?” I waited for any objections. But none came. Maybe he caught on?

I moved closer to him, waiting for him to hug me or maybe kiss me one last time for the day. None came. I looked up and his eyes seemed distance. He had caught on.

“Goodnight Michael.” I whispered to him as the winter wind blew around us.

The winter night was chilly like any other and it was past eleven.

I pushed my hands in my pocket trying to warm them and kept my head low, thinking about everything happening.

I couldn’t think straight, it felt like I had a black cloud fuming my brain. I let my feet carry me anywhere.

I didn’t know where I was until I looked up. I stood outside Connor’s house and other then his bedroom’s light every other light was shut.

I pulled out his door keys from my clutch and walked up the porch.

I had his house keys while he had mine.

I tried my best not to make a noise but failed badly as the wind slammed the door shut behind me.

“Hello? Who’s there?” Connor’s alert voice came from upstairs.

“It’s me Sam.” I said barely above a whisper but he heard.

He walked down the stairs slowly and saw me leaning against the wall with my eyes shut.

“What’s wrong?”He asked after a moment of silent.

“Today has got to be the worst day ever.” I said in monotone. “Tell me about it.” He said while running a hand through his dark blonde hair.

I waited patiently for him to go on he got the signal and spoke.

“Her mum ruined the whole plan; My Parents didn’t even say anything, nothing Sam! Can-”

I cut him off by pushing my self off the wall interrupting him.

“Connor, what if I tell you I like you? What if I say I don’t think I feel the same way about Michael? What if I want to stay engaged to you?” I asked grabbing his shoulder making he look down at me.

My heart bet extremely fast. I had no idea what came over me and why the heck I was saying all this to him but I felt like I should know his answer, after spending 3 years with him mattered.

“Sam?” He said my name as if he was trying to see if I was awake.

“Just answer me; I don’t care what your answer is.”

He mumbled something to him, and like most of the times he took deep breathes to calm himself down.

“Sam, my parents want me to break this engagement, they have everything planned for me and that girl they want me to marry. And I like you too Sam! But just not the way where I would actually marry you.” He looked down to his feet completely embarrassed.

He doesn’t even know the name of the girl he’s going to get married to, heck I bet he doesn’t know my last name.

Connor was an entertaining person to be with, but over all he was a player. A player would always stay a player.

I shoved my hands back into my pocket and looked away from the wall which I hadn’t realized I had been staring the whole time.

“I’m heading home.” I whispered.

I turned around and opened the front door, the cool winter air hitting me.

“Wait Sam!” Connor shouted before I could step down from the porch.

I whipped my head back around, making it obvious I was pissed.

“I just wanted to say thanks for sticking with me for those 3 years, I hope you realized something. Oh and Marry Christmas Samantha Bradley.”

If he thought knowing my last name would make me feel better well then boy was he wrong.

“You to Connor but one thing, Everything I said to you, those questions weren’t true. I don’t want to be stuck engaged to you and I don’t like you either, and yeah I realized something Connor, I realized that you’re a douche.” I stepped down the stairs without another glance and started walking out his lawn. I felt so different swearing freely at someone’s face.

“Sam, Other then me being a douche, you have to realize something else. Something to do with Michael!” He called out behind me.