If You Loved Me, Why'd You Leave Me?

(A/N Hey Guys. So this is going to be a very important question I've been meaning to ask you. I know we are all overly excited for Emison to happen and I am trying my best to publish as many parts as I can so that we may get there. But I NEED to ask, and NEED an answer!! Do you guys want Emison smut/sex/visual stuff? It's been a topic of debate. Let me know in the comments, and we'll see how it goes! Until then, Enjoy this chapter!)

----------------------------------------------

Emily walked into her old house using the key her mother kept under the potted plant on the porch. Her tan boots squeaked against the wooden floors. The old familiar chestnut smell filled her nose.

"Mom?" Emily called out.

She heard a creaking as Pam wheeled herself out into the living room. She no longer had all of her hair, and looked older than ever. Emily's heart broke the minute her mother laid eyes on her.

"Oh, Emmy," Pam cried.

Emily made her way over to her mom and ducked down to kiss her on the forehead. She hugged her the best she could in her wheelchair.

"Why would you go to that nasty place without telling me? What if something happened to you?" Pam sobbed.

Emily leaned away. "I didn't want to worry you. And somebody had to pay for your treatment. You couldn't on your own."

"But what about Pepperdine?" Pam asked worriedly.

"College really wasn't my thing," Emily admitted sheepishly.

"Oh, you look so grown up. Your father would be so proud of you. If only he could see you standing here in that uniform. Bless his heart," Pam whispered.

Emily rocked back and forth uneasily as she pushed her mother to the living room and sat down on the couch opposite her.

"Who told you? About me being in the military?" Emily asked.

"I figured you'd ask that. A Lieutenant Meyers called. He said he was in your unit in Afghanistan. He was rotated out. Sent home on medical leave. But he wanted me to know that you were one of the bravest he ever had the privilege of working with. He warned me you may come back different," she said.

Emily looked down in shame. Of course he would've called.

Secrets don't stay secrets, Em. You should know that one by now, Alison said in her ear.

"What happened out there, Emmy? What aren't you telling me?" Pam asked.

Emily wouldn't meet her eyes. "I'd rather not speak of it."

"Were you hurt?" Pam asked again.

The flashbacks commenced. The explosion. The blood. There was so much blood.

"I was in IED explosion. All of the people on my convoy were killed except for me, Meyers, and a soldier named Morello. He lost both of his legs," Emily said.

"And you walked off okay?" Pam asked. She was crying now.

"I was shot. In the arm. Both my forearms are scarred from being burned pretty badly. I have a couple scars on my chest from the seat belts. And I have tainted memory," Emily finished.

They sat in silence, neither of them finding the courage to look at each other.

Emily peeled off her jacket so she could show her mom the burns on both of her forearms. Arji had done a good job of making the burns on her left arm seem like waves, but on the right, it just seemed like warped skin.