A Voice Without Words

Emily leaned against the headstone of her father and listened to the birds chirping around her.

Wayne Martin Fields

Emily laughed to herself as she thought of all the times with him. All of the memories, all of the sounds and the sights.

"You've got a point, Dad. Maybe I did fuck up by coming back here," Emily spoke to herself at the silence.

Oh, Em. If you hadn't come back here, you wouldn't have seen me again. For all you know, I could've been engaged to Dr. Sexy, The Other Alison griped in her head.

Emily ignored it and played with the grass underneath her. Just down the path, a couple graves away from her father's, a fairly new headstone with roses by it stood.

Charlotte Cara Dilaurentis

Emily couldn't even bring herself to walk anywhere near it. The thought of being anywhere near A or Charlotte or whatever she wanted to be called even though she was dead scared the shit out of her.

"I know what you're thinking. Why come here if you just want to tell me how much you hate Rosewood? Well... I guess I hate it. But Ali is here. I love her, Dad," Emily said again.

It wasn't met with a response but she knew that it never would be. Emily let her head fall into her hands and groaned.

"I don't belong here. I belong out there. I belong in that desert fighting this war. And I keep thinking to myself, what happens when the investigation is over? Ali's going to want me to stay here but... I can't help but think I need to leave again."

"Emily," a man's voice said.

Emily jumped thinking it might've been her father but realized it was just Dr. Rollins.

He smiled uneasily and approached slowly so he wouldn't disrupt her discussion with herself.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," Elliot said.

Emily stood up quickly and brushed herself off. "No, it's fine. I was just... It doesn't matter. Why are you here?"

Elliot seemed taken aback and shifted his weight uncomfortably. "I was visiting Charlotte. I know she was just my patient but... I felt some respects needed to be paid. I've known her for over five years."

"Oh," Emily said. She felt as though she had come off incredibly rude.

"It's okay, you know," Rollins said again, disrupting her thoughts.

"What is?" Emily asked.

"Talking to the headstone like that," Rollins said, pointing out what Emily had been previously doing.

Emily blushed. "Yeah well... I haven't seen him since I was last here five years ago. I've got a lot to say."

Rollins smiled softly. "May I ask? Why did you leave Rosewood? Other than the fact that you went to college? You never came back."

Emily's eyes wouldn't meet his. "This place just left a lot of bad memories. I made a pact with myself. I wasn't going to return to Rosewood."

"Yet, here you are," Elliot said.

Emily scoffed. "Yeah well... Coming back here was never a part of the plan."

"Not even for Alison?" Rollins asked.

Emily stiffened. "That's complicated."

"She missed you. She didn't want you to ever leave her. She was mad when you did, but she was also mad at herself for staying and letting you. But Emily. I know you're not all there," Rollins warned.

Emily backed away from him as she saw him begin to grow closer. "You don't know the first thing about me."

"The nightmares. The talking to yourself. The voice in your head. Have you ever considered that maybe you're not safe to be around?" Rollins asked again.

"Shut up," Emily warned.

"You're becoming hostile. Listen to how you're speaking to me. You need help, Emily. I'm a doctor. I can help you. But maybe you have to consider that the best thing for Alison is for you to leave. Before she gets hurt," Rollins continued.

"Ali is safe with me. I have a doctor. I go to the VA hospital. I have it under control," Emily said.

"Are you sure about that?" Rollins asked.

Emily swallowed the awful truth. She really wasn't. Ali thought she was safe with Emily, but in reality, Charlotte's murderer was probably safer to be around.

Emily could feel herself growing angry with the constant questions she didn't need to be asked.

How dare he, Em? You don't ever let anybody push you around, The Other Alison said in Emily's mind.

"Listen to me, Elliot. If this is some sick attempt to get Ali back, it's not working. I'm not leaving. And I'm going to find who killed Charlotte and I'm going to kill them too. And if you stand in my way, I swear to whatever God you believe in, you will be next," Emily hissed threateningly.

Elliot sat back shocked and held his hands up warningly. "Did you just hear what you said, Emily? Listen to me, please. Hear me out. Get help. Before somebody ends up hurt."

"You're about to be the only one hurt if you don't get the fuck out of my way," Emily growled.

Elliot looked backed up nervously and turned back towards his car which was sitting on the edge of the graveyard by the road.

----------------------------------------------

Emily ran home. She had grown so used to running around in the army to keep herself fit that it was almost a necessity.

What if Rollins was right? What if Emily really was dangerous?

Oh, Killer. There's nothing wrong with being exactly that. Right? You're my Killer, The Other Alison said gleefully.

Emily realized she had to get away. She had to make sure Alison was safe. The only way to do that was to leave. What other choice did she have?

She couldn't protect Alison if she was the demon living under their roof.