For Whom The Bell Tolls Again

Emily knocked on her mother's door who answered and proceeded to let her in.

"Oh, Emmy. I heard they closed the case on Charlotte Dilaurentis," Pam said after she hugged her daughter.

"They did. Thank god. None of us could take it anymore. Ali and I finally moved back into the apartment. But we're looking into a house. It's just too small for the both of us," Emily said.

"I'm so proud of you Emily," Pam said with a smile.

"How are you feeling?" Emily asked.

"I'm doing pretty good. Dr. Kingston hasn't seen any more mets. He thinks the chemo is working. I'm almost in remission," Pam said.

"Mom!" Emily screamed as she hugged her mother again, almost crushing her in the process.

"Emmy, Emmy! You're still too strong for me!" Pam laughed.

Emily leaned away, a little embarrassed with a grin. "I'm sorry. I guess I just forgot."

"It's fine. So... What did you tell me you needed to talk to me about?" Pam asked.

Emily sat down on the couch and wrung her hands. "It's Ali, Mom. I...I think I'm going to ask her to marry me."

"Really?" Pam asked, surprised.

"I've been thinking about it really long and hard. Alison and I have loved each other since we were ten, Mom. Neither of us knew it, but for years we both knew something was off. Something was different. We're supposed to be together. Charlotte... did some pretty bad things. But she brought Alison and I together again. And I think that's fate, if that's what you want to call it," Emily said.

"Well... You'll need this," Pam said as she rolled her wheelchair into her bedroom.

A few minutes later, she appeared by the living room with a small box in her hands.

"I figured you'd want these. Well... Your father would want you to have them as well," Pam said as Emily took the box from her reach.

Inside were two wedding bands and an engagement ring.

"No, Mom, I can't take these. These are yours and Dad's," Emily said.

"Honey, I'm a widow. I just recently came to terms with that and took off that ring. There's nobody better I'd rather see wear it than Alison. If she truly is your soulmate, this will be for you two," Pam said.

Emily hugged her mother. "If only Dad could see me now."

"Oh honey. Of course he can."

----------------------------------------------

"Look, just... Go to dinner with me," Emily said to Alison who was sitting on the couch grading a mound of papers.

"Em... I'm swamped," Alison whined.

"Which gives you all the more reason to take a break and come to dinner with me. I'll help you grade them when we get back. Deal?" Emily asked.

Alison gave her a pointed look, and after realizing that Emily wasn't gonna take no for an answer, brushed the papers aside.

"Fine."

----------------------------------------------

"That meal probably cost you a fortune," Alison said as they walked arms linked out of the restaurant.

"Yeah, I don't really care," Emily said with a smile.

"Well... thank you for taking me out tonight. You are officially my favorite girlfriend," Alison giggled.