No Rest For The Wicked

"You brought me lunch? From where?" Spencer asked once Emily had sidestepped into the barn.

"The Brew. Ali and I finished early," Emily said.

"Yeah, what happened with that?" Spencer asked.

Emily sighed. "She got pissed at me so she left before we even ate. Beggars can't be choosers, right?"

Spencer's eyes widened. "Seriously? What did you say?"

"I questioned her about Charlotte's burial," Emily said.

"You WHAT?" Spencer asked angrily.

"What?" Emily asked.

"Way to keep it on the DL, Em," Spencer scolded.

"I'm tired of scooting around things, Spencer! If I can get the answer, I'm going to get the answer. I'm not playing games with her," Emily snapped.

"Whatever. What did she say?" Spencer asked.

"She told me she'd tell me at home. Then she got up and left. But she was acting suspicious," Emily said.

"Suspicious how?"

"I don't know! Suspicious like Ali!" Emily groaned.

Spencer unboxed the sandwich and took a long bite of it. "It's kind of dry."

"Ali doesn't like pesto mayonnaise," Emily said.

Spencer rolled her eyes. "Of course she doesn't."

"Do you want mine instead?" Emily asked.

Spencer nodded and reached for Emily's sandwich, Emily taking Spencer's half eaten one.

"Okay. So. I found something in the file I think you might want to see. The poem somewhat makes sense. Charlotte's Way," Spencer said in between bites.

Emily shook her head. "I'm not following."

"Go to the place where all the dead lay, uncover the truth and find Charlotte's way. Em, Charlotte's Way is the game. The -A Game," Spencer rambled.

Emily pushed her sandwich away. "Spencer. It's not clicking."

"Don't you get it? We have to go back to the dollhouse," Spencer said.

Emily's eyes grew wide. "Are you insane?"

"Think about it. Charlotte spent most of her time there. There are probably many places the cops didn't check because they didn't know just how good at hiding things Charlotte was," Spencer said.

"I'm not stepping foot in there again. Never," Emily said angrily.

"Em, please. We can take Hanna and Aria and Toby and Caleb and Ezra. Whoever you want. But I'm telling you, we have to go back," Spencer stated.

Emily bit her lip. "And what if there's something in there we don't want to see?"

"We'll have to deal with it. Emily... I don't want to go back there either. But we may not have a choice. Somebody killed Charlotte. And that person could still be here. What if Charlotte has something that could show us who that is?" Spencer asked.

Emily pondered it for a moment. "Don't you think the cops would've cleared that entire building out by now? I mean... Charlotte kept us in there for months and tortured us."

Spencer shrugged. "Maybe it's not what Charlotte has. Maybe it's what her killer has."

----------------------------------------------