Chapter Twenty-Three

"Sweetheart, you have to go to school today. It's been a week."

"No!" I yelled for the millionth time. "Leave me alone!"

Why won't anyone leave me alone? All I want is to be left alone, to hide in my room like a coward, and refuse to face the world.

Is that too much to ask?

Obviously it is since no one has left me alone since my birthday.

That asshole, whose name I refused to think or say, made my birthday the greatest day of my life. But, not to be outdone, he then quickly made it the worst.

Even now, I start to tear up thinking about it.

His words kept echoing through my mind, ripping at my heart and soul. Never in my life had I felt more dirty, ashamed, and disgusted of what I am than I did that night, and still did over a week later.

In his opinion, I was nothing more than a disgusting mutt, a dog of inferior birth, who shouldn't be breathing the same air as him.

Asshole.

"You need to eat something," Mom argued.

"I'm not hungry," I mumbled.

"You don't have a choice, so get your melancholy ass downstairs."

Goddamn moms.

I rolled out of bed and sulked down the hall, stomping loudly down the stairs as I went. Once I hit the living room, a knock came at the door.

Instantly I was growling, thinking it was a trap.

I sniffed; not Jerk-face.

I opened the door and standing there was a deliveryman with a large vase filled with three dozen roses.

"Delivery for Jay Dee Lightfoot," he said with a smile.

"Stay," I growled, causing him to jump, startled, and grabbed Jarvis' wallet off the table and took a twenty from it. "I want you to deliver these back to sender. Here's twenty bucks for your time." I took his pen and scribbled the address on the signature line and broke each rose, just as he broke my heart. "Tell him I said to go get a tan without his ring," I snarled before slamming the door in the stunned, and very confused, deliveryman's face.

"That wasn't very mature," Jarvis informed from the kitchen doorway. "And you owe me twenty bucks."

I flipped him off and pushed past him before flopping down at the kitchen table.

Like a stereotypical teenager who got her heart broken, I glared at everyone and everything, even the food.

I hadn't eaten in days. I hadn't showered. Hadn't gone to school or to work. I was pretty damn confident that I had been wearing the same pajamas I went to bed in on my birthday.