Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Do you dream?" I asked while we waited for the hors d'œuvre.

The restaurant was overly fancy, just how Tanis liked them, and if I wouldn't have changed into an ungodly expensive dress, thrall and a huge tip would have been involved to get a table.

Tanis smiled warmly at me. "Yes, I dream of you often. I dreamt of you the night we first met and every night since."

For some reason, that made me feel giddy but upset at the same time.

"Do you dream of stuff other than me?" I clarified for his amusement.

"Yes," he admitted. "The few human memories I have retained are merely those remembered from dreams. My first horse," he said and I chuckled so he tossed a dinner roll at me, and of course, I threw it back at him. "This is a nice restaurant, Duckie," he scolded.

Hypocrite.

I pouted my bottom lip out and absently caressed the backs of my fingers along the plunging neckline of the dress and it effectively stole his attention.

"You truly are a demon," he commented then licked his lips.

"But I'm your demon," I teasingly reminded him.

He sighed. "Yes, I suppose you are."

That wasn't the response I was hoping for and my face dropped and I folded my hands together in my lap.

"I remember that my biological mum had silver eyes that were comparable to liquid silver, and my father's eyes were the exact same color as d'Artagnan's," Tanis continued, his eyes moving over my face as he spoke. "Our youngest sibling was four when she died, her name was Daniela; she had freckles and used to snort when she laughed and had a missing front tooth from the time she fell climbing a tree with Georgiana when she was two. At least, that is what I remember from my dreams. Is it accurate? I do not know. I have never bothered to confirm any of it with my siblings. However, as of late, my dreams have been of you and only you...why the face?" he asked, turning serious.

Damn it! I hate not having a poker face.

"Well," I said, then chewed on my lip.

"Talk to me, Duckie," he pleaded, offering me his hand.

"Damn it," I huffed, weaving my fingers through his. "Lately you've been having nightmares or something...you've been restless and talking in your sleep. And now that you said you only dream of me, I can't even begin to imagine the nightmares I've been plaguing you with. That's all."

Tanis forced a smile. "You are a waking dream, one I never imaged I would hold in my arms when awake, however, losing you is my biggest fear, thus it is a nightmare."

Nervous, I fiddled with my necklace. "I'm sorry," I apologized.

"Do not ever apologize to me for anything," he scolded. "What have you been dreaming of now?" he asked as the waitress covered the top of the table with plates of food.