Chapter Twenty-Five

Jerk-face had made it exceptionally difficult to be mad at him.

However, I had to stand by my principles. And if that meant I would be completely miserable for the rest of my life, and alone since I marked him, so be it.

Truth was, I honestly couldn't picture myself loving anyone but that annoying vampire.

What was really ironic about the entire situation was that I had heard what he said many times before, and worse. But hearing it from the man I loved, the person I gave my everything to—mind, body, soul, trust, mark...virginity—made it inexcusable.

Last night, I crawled into bed with Jarvis. I didn't want him to leave, and I kept getting the feeling from him that he didn't want to leave either, so we stayed up all night and talked. Every time he mentioned the sniveling vampire I was purposely trying not to think about, I'd punched him and changed the subject.

Needless to say, my brother was littered with bruises.

Never did I imagine that my brother, the one who had always been insanely protective of me, would approve of the guy who took my virginity, and then side with him!

When did hell freeze over?

Jarvis and his best friend, Jerk-face, headed to Seattle to put him on his ungodly-long flight to Moscow. Aside from the poor company that took him to the airport, I felt bad for Jarvis because there was a lot of connecting flights and more than eighteen hours of flying ahead of him. First he went from Seattle to Spokane, Spokane to Salt Lake, Salt Lake to Chicago, then Chicago to London, which was cool as hell because I had always wanted to see London, then London to Moscow. Surprisingly, the ticket wasn't that expensive using online booking sites, but I couldn't imagine being stuck in a cramped cabin with no room to breathe or stretch for that long.

Unfortunately, we couldn't afford first class, and when I tried to give Jarvis my savings so he could get bumped to first or business class, which would give him more legroom, he declined and smacked me upside the head.

"Are you okay, Mom?" I asked as I sat at the table, accidentally grabbing four plates when there was only three of us now.

She forced a smile. "I suppose. It's hard saying goodbye to your kids, even though he'll be back in a few months. I wish I could call him every night so I can tuck him in over the phone." She sniveled and wiped the moisture from her eyes.

I hugged her tight. "You can. That asshole who broke my heart bought Jarvis a satellite phone."

"What's that?" she asked.

I groaned; stupid Jerk-face was the hero once more.

"It's a way for you to call Jarvis regardless of where he's at in the world, and since the number's local it won't cost us long distance charges. The number's written by the phone."