Prologue

The wintry winds blew as crimson and golden leaves fluttered. Villagers, in thickened coats, hurried home to stay warm. A young girl with hair as white as snow, rosy red cheeks, and beautiful lilac eyes that reflect the moonlight, was the talk of a small village in Pennsylvania. She was exceptionally different. She was stronger than most boys her age, faster than the hunting hounds, more agile than the searchers and more forest smart than the trekkers.

The elders of the village suspected that she was a witch, but from the fact that she was born just like the normal children, they were doubtful. She was turning 7 that year and according to her mother, she was going to stay with her father for the next 7 years. A man, whom she has never seen or knew her entire life until that year.

And even for a 7 years old girl, she loved to do what boys would mostly do if they live in villages; hunting pheasants and/or small rodents as competition to see who was the best hunter.

She sat on a sturdy tree branch, listening to the wind, almost as if she could hear murmuring voices. She seemed immune to the cold, since she was merely wearing a white hand-sewn dress, a pair of brown leather boots and a red knitted scarf that wrapped around her neck. Her backyard was just as peaceful, as of now. "Magnolia!" She heard an old lady call her, from inside of the house. She turned to the source.

"Coming!" She answered and leapt down onto the damp leaves. The crunching of leaves were a pleasant autumn sound. She ran back to her house. Magnolia ran into the living room where she saw an old lady in plum coloured clothing. "Magnolia, dearest," the old lady smiled, arms wide open for an embrace. Behind her was a boy with brown hair like milk chocolate.

You were different from him. But we were the same.

The boy stared at her with a dark and menacing aura which was oblivious to her. "Granny Gwen, who's that?" Magnolia asked, running into the old lady's embrace. She turned and saw the young boy. She parted with Magnolia. "He's my darling grandson. And he's your age." Gwen pinched his cheeks. He pushed her hand away, snarling. "A little hot-tempered though." She continued to smile.

Then, she remembered the reason why she had called the young girl. "Your mother Ethel is looking for you. She should be in the town square." Gwen smiled. An idea came into Magnolia's mind. "Would he mind if he follows me to find Mama?" She asked, turning to the boy.

"Well?" Gwen bent over to meet with the boy. He nodded slowly. Magnolia beamed. The boy led Magnolia away from his grandmother. Along the way, out of obligation, Magnolia drew her attention to one of her fingers of her right hand; the pinkie. She could see a red string, faintly glowing, tied around it. The tail gently swayed. She followed the trail which led up to another pinkie; Gwen's grandson.

Magnolia grabbed his hand, which entangled the red string around their hands. To her, the most sensational feeling surged the her. It was like eating her favourite sweets in a very fluffy and warm area. "Just like Mama's marshmallow jelly and hot chocolate!" She smiled brightly.

Papa said that if one had the most sensational feeling, then one has found his mate.

The boy stopped walking as Magnolia leaned into him. She nuzzled against his neck. "So warm..." She mumbled. "What's your name?" She asked, pulling away. "Myers." He replied, sounding shy. Magnolia took a step back. "That's a nice name!" She smiled.

I wondered if you had realised that.

Myers weakly smiled back. The children continued until they were on the front porch. As soon as they were out of the house, they came face-to-face with another boy looking identical to Myers. "Myosotis!" Magnolia smiled, letting go of Myers's hand and she threw herself into the new boy's arms.