~Chapter Nine: A Day of Suspicions, Questions, and Tears; Day Five~

It's the fifth day, was my first thought of the day. Waking up suddenly and finding that I can't go back to sleep, I stared at the roof of my four-poster bed, breathing deeply.

The countdown is still counting and moving.

The only way to find out who the murderer is to see their face, huh.

I sighed and put an arm over my eyes. It's not that I'm nervous; I've been to more near-death experiences already, and this is one of them. Besides, Sebastian can't let me die until he's filled his role in our contract, and I haven't found the people who attacked me yet.

Cakes, sweets, candies, cupcakes, lollipops. Cakes, sweets, candies, cupcakes, lollipops. Cakes, sweets, candies, cupcakes, lollipops. I forced myself to think of those to keep myself from having a panic attack, taking deep breaths and imagining those. I still can't think of those without having a difficulty to breathe.

A knock came on the door and my stomach rumbled. I blushed a bit and sat up, hoping the person on the other side of the door won't hear, and that person is probably Sebastian. "Come in." I put my legs over the edge of my bed, and the door opened.

And Sebastian it was. He looked surprised to see me up and I narrowed my eyes at him, daring him to talk.

And he did take the challenge. "My, young master, you're up early. I thought I had to wake you up again today." He smiled and I glared at him. "And I see I won't have to prepare the bath beforehand, please wait here, young master. Breakfast can come after the bath, so please try to be patient." Then he went off to the bathroom to prepare the said bath. I laid back down, my legs dangling from the bed, my arms above my head, and I continued to look at the roof of my bed.

I still can't get Alice out of my mind. Just where did she go last night? Why isn't she in her room? Is she doing something that she doesn't want me to know? Doing something behind my back? What did she do?

I pursed my lips and sighed. It's no use asking these to myself. I won't get any answers. Only one thing to do.

I have to ask her.

>>><<<

After I got ready for the day, I went into my study, deciding to return to the mansion after lunch.

On my way to the study, I saw Alice cleaning a vase in her arms with a troubled look on her face. The hand which was clutching a rag slowed down and she was left staring at the flowers, her eyebrows furrowed.

My eyebrows did the same as well. I called out to her. "Alice."

She took a sharp inhale and looked at me with her eyes wide. "A--ah, Master Ciel! I was just, um, just cleaning." She hastily cleaned the vase she was holding and she dusted its place on a post, before putting the vase on top.

I frowned. Didn't I tell her to call me 'Ciel'? What happened? "Alice, is there something you are not telling me?"

She looked at me, fear clearly on her face, her hands trembling. I saw her swallow and tears are gathering in her eyes.

What?

I approached her and she shrunk away when I tried to grab her shoulders. "Alice, let us go to my study. That's right, everything is fine. Come on, try not to trip. One step at a time." I slowly took her arm and guided her towards my study. She's shaking terribly, breathing heavily, and it looks like she's trying not to cry. What had happened last night?

I opened the door to my study, went in with her, and let her sit on one of the chairs in front of my desk. I didn't sit on my own chair, instead I crouched in front of her. I called out to her until she looked at me, dry sobs shaking her shoulders. "Alice, can you tell me what is wrong?" I tried asking her again.