~Chapter Twelve: A Day of Endings, Revelations, and Goodbyes~

Alice asked for an audience with me in the afternoon before she went to sleep. She wanted to talk about what she had seen in her dreams, and wanted to discuss it with me in length. I agreed to it. Perhaps she's already dreaming more about her childhood right now.

Rubbing my bleary eyes—yes, eyes, it was uncomfortable for my hidden eye too—to read the parchment in front of me, I sighed. She might not be awake yet, and it's almost 1 in the afternoon. Oh well, I'm going to let her sleep in, considering the ordeals she went through. Let's hope that the bruise on her neck will heal soon. She's lucky to be taking her time to sleep.

As for me? The five hours of sleep I had got me dreaming about my missing memories. We will definitely have to talk about them later. Is it not my business if my memories are concerned with her?

Hm, I thought so.

Perhaps I can invite Lizzy and the three of us could talk over tea—reminisce together—but our classes are entirely different, and I've been acting very strange for a week now, with my usual pardoning of Alice for the sake of the case. I'll have to act accordingly from now on.

It isn't befitting to ignore such rules in the society, but then again, Lizzy does what she wants, and it's better to see her happy than upset and sad.

I squinted at the paper I held in my hands. It wasn't a business letter, instead, it was a letter from the Queen—a reply to my previous letter that said about the murders stopping for good. The five 'Alices' seemed to have emerged in the Yard's prison cells, with a note that tells of their involvement and fraud. They should be awaiting their punishment in shame.

The Queen's letter congratulated me, but it also talked about how she's taking back Alice, now that the murders are solved. I guess it's expected—I didn't think Alice would stay longer than a week.

She came here by the Queen's orders, and she would leave by Her orders too. It would make the others sad though, and I don't want to hear their cries for her.

I sighed again, letting go of the letter to watch it flutter towards the table. I was actually wondering how to break the news to Alice, and she's leaving by first light tomorrow. I don't know what to expect. Will she accept it silently? Will she be sad about it?

Just as I was about to get a paper to return a reply to the Queen, the door was knocked on. I furrowed my eyebrows and glanced at the clock. Not yet the time for my snacks, so it must be Alice. How can I tell her she's leaving tomorrow?

I cleared my throat, settling on my seat. "Come in."

The door opened to reveal a bashful Alice, her neck covered by the high neckline of her uniform. I nodded at her in greeting, and she bowed as she stopped in front of me. I glanced at the Queen's letter, slowly folding it in half so she wouldn't see it prematurely.

"Sit down." She complied, her head still bowed down in respect. She must have been thinking about the rules of our class, and it was as if we were back to square one of formalities. Perhaps it's for the best. "You wanted to see me in regards of your dreams?"

Alice nodded. "Yes," she rasped. Her throat must still hurt a little. "I remember everything." Daring a glance at me, she said, "We met when we were little.

"Miss Elizabeth, Master Ciel, and I—dare I say—were once friends." Then she looked away, and sighed. "I came from a noble family—a small one, but still noble. Our families were supposed to have a partnership: our advertising company and your Funtom.

"It was both beneficial for our families—we could help boost your company's popularity, and we could earn from it too. In fact, at that time, we had contacted the four other families of the 'Alices' to advertise for them." She chuckled.