~Chapter Eight, Two: Her Heart; For Him to Read~

~~~

January 21, 18XX
8:59 PM

~~~

I'm guessing January twenty-first is her birthday...? I looked up at the window to see if she had arrived, but there was no sign of her. What time is it...?

Ah, it's already a quarter past eleven.

~~~

Hello Diary, my name is Alice. I have yet to remember my last name, so I hope you won't mind the lack of it. I also hope you won't mind my writing because I'm writing starting today. Mr. Lucerna gave me a notebook to write to you, so I might as well use it.

~~~

Ah, so Lucerna is the name of the good man. I do remember a Lucius Lucerna who died of a heart disease a year ago. He was one of my distributors, and he works for the queen as well. I've never heard of Alice though, who apparently was living with him for almost two years.

~~~

I'm twelve now, and happy, but I'm still feeling as empty and confused as I was when Mr. Lucerna found me on the streets a year ago. You see, I lost my memories of who I was and I've been feeling like I'm lacking something since then, but I've been dreaming a lot about a girl and a boy, and I'm thinking that they might be my friends from before I was lost. I tried to remember their identities, but nothing came up to mind. It's not that surprising actually.

~~~

A girl and a boy? I wonder who they are. And strange, I'm getting the feeling like I've forgotten something as well...

~~~

I hope they are friends! The maids here are not so friendly, the butlers only see me as a kid that always needs help. I'm twelve now! Not really a child anymore! The only friend I have is Mr. Lucerna, and since he doesn't have children of his own, he says I'm like his daughter that he never had. I didn't understand what he meant at first, but I think I'm starting to. He cares for me like a parent would, and I wondered if I was loved by my real parents as well.

I'm starting to think they just left me to die and be alone. I'm so lonely.

What if Mr. Lucerna would one day disappear? I wouldn't know what to do. Would the house be abandoned? Would the others take what was Mr. Lucerna's because he couldn't pay for them anymore? Would everyone just leave, just like that?

~~~

Last I remember, Lucius left a will, but I don't know where it is. It must've been given to the queen? His own mansion is being taken care of by the queen's men and women anyway, so I assume she does have the will. I wonder to whom he left his properties.

~~~

I know these thoughts are bad, but I can't help it! I can't bear to lose someone of importance to me again! I may not remember my real parents, but I really want to! I hate being alone. I don't want to be alone anymore.

You'll be here for me right, Diary? You'll be my friend? I hope we'll stay that way until I'm gone too, but don't be lonely when I'm gone, I think someone will find you and then you'll become friends too! You'll have a lot of friends, and you can tell them about me too, because I'll be writing to you as often as I can!