~Chapter Ten, One: A Day of Anticipation, Worries, and Doubts; Day Six~

((Short chapter. Sorry for updating just now. Very busy.))

Sebastian woke me up today. I had slept in.

My eyes are hurting.

Ah, maybe because I hadn't slept much. I was tossing around in my bed for hours, and Alice's words were still stuck in my mind. I couldn't really sleep with all the things screaming in my head.

I saw Alice on my way to my study, but aside from greeting me a good morning, she never looked twice in my way. She's avoiding me.

It's not a good morning, it will never be with things going on.

It's the sixth day. I'm sure the others are worried.

I sure can feel the dread in my stomach. I'm going to see 'little dream' tomorrow.

Only a day to go.

>>><<<

...Today's awfully silent.

I threw my quill down on the paper that I'm signing, splattering small drops of ink on the parchment. When will these paperwork end?

I stood up from my seat and went towards my window. The garden is visible from here, with the tall trees and roses that were planted there. Finnian was there, trimming a bush with Sebastian teaching him. There was another person there too.

It was Alice.

Her back was turned to me, but I know her expression is one of grief.

If things were going to be like this on the sixth day, how much more of this will I suffer on the seventh?

This is infuriating, but I can't really blame them.

I crossed my arms across my chest, thinking on what to do for tomorrow. What should I do, what should I do?

I can only wait.

>>><<<

I'm starting to doubt Alice's innocence. I know, ridiculous, but it's possible...

It's possible that she may be lying to me.

Is it even coincidence that on the day she had come to my manor was the day that 'little dream' sent me the letter? Is it?

I think not.

It may be on purpose.

I reckon she is the most important piece of the puzzle. We just need to solve her first.

For some reason, I'm getting worried for her.

And I'm worried for myself.

>>><<<

I was only eating the shortcake that Sebastian gave me after lunch when a knock sounded on the door. I permitted them, and Alice came in.

I blinked. Well, this is a surprise.

"Alice? What is it? Are the others causing trouble?" I asked her. She shook her head, and she still won't look at me.

"No, the others are doing well, young master." My eye twitched. "But I would like your permission to return to Her Majesty's castle tomorrow morning."

I raised an eyebrow. "No."

She raised her head. There were some dark circles under her eyes, and her nose is a little red. Was she not sleeping well? Was she crying? "Please, young master, you must! I--"

"You do not use the word 'must' to tell me what to do. And we did agree for you to call me 'Ciel', did we not?"

"We did, but--"

"So be it. You will not leave this mansion, and you will certainly not sneak out. It is not your responsibility to look after me or my life. All you have to do is look after the estate," I said in a firm tone. I think I'm overdoing it, because tears welled in her eyes again. Ah blast, I've made her cry, but I'm not backing down either. "Let Sebastian and I handle this, Alice," I continued, but with a softer tone, "Thank you for worrying about me. But I will be fine, you can count on that."

"Ciel, you do not understand!" she argued, "I was--" She cut herself off and widened her eyes. I narrowed mine in turn as I felt cold.

"You were what?"

She shook her head, as if regretting she had said anything.

"Alice," I called her with a warning in my voice. She took a step back and refused to look at me again, her tears spilling continually down her face. And before I could stand and grab her, she fled the room.

I made no move to stop her, and instead called on Sebastian. When he arrived, I told him not to let Alice out of the mansion unless necessary, and that whenever she does, he is to accompany her. Never let her out of his senses.

I know I'm being tight, but I have to do what I have to do.

She's back on the suspect list.

•|•|•|•

"Ciel! Ciel! Are you going to marry Lizzy?"

"Yeah!"

"Then I will be there! You will invite me, right?"

"Of course! You are our best friend!"

"Yay!"

•|•|•|•

What did she want to say?

Who is she really?

When will I find out, I wonder?