~Notes: Manors and Mansions~

Since I'll be using the term 'mansion' to refer to the Phantomhive estate instead of 'manor' (and Sekami asked if it's supposed to be 'manor'; hello buddy :D), so I just thought to put this here for you guys to read before you complain or say or point out that 'it's supposed to be "manor"'. (No offence Sekami. ;w;)

>>><<<

The difference of the manor and the mansion. This is about manorialism and a bit of feudalism.

Everything within the quote marks is from Wikipedia.

'Manorialism, an essential element of feudal society, was the organizing principle of rural economy that originated in the villa system of the Late Roman Empire, was widely practiced in medieval western and parts of central Europe, and was slowly replaced by the advent of a money-based market economy and new forms of agrarian contract.

Manorialism was characterised by the vesting of legal and economic power in a Lord of the Manor, supported economically from his own direct landholding in a manor (sometimes called a fief), and from the obligatory contributions of a legally subject part of the peasant population under the jurisdiction of himself and his manorial court. These obligations could be payable in several ways, in labor (the French term corvée is conventionally applied), in kind, or, on rare occasions, in coin.

In examining the origins of the monastic cloister, Walter Horn found that "as a manorial entity the Carolingian monastery ... differed little from the fabric of a feudal estate, save that the corporate community of men for whose sustenance this organization was maintained consisted of monks who served God in chant and spent much of their time in reading and writing."

Manorialism died slowly and piecemeal, along with its most vivid feature in the landscape, the open field system. It outlasted serfdom as it outlasted feudalism: "primarily an economic organization, it could maintain a warrior, but it could equally well maintain a capitalist landlord. It could be self-sufficient, yield produce for the market, or it could yield a money rent." The last feudal dues in France were abolished at the French Revolution. In parts of eastern Germany, the Rittergut manors of Junkers remained until World War II. In Quebec, the last feudal rents were paid in 1970 under the modified provisions of the Seigniorial Dues Abolition Act of 1935.'

And manors are like, the centre for villages, maybe. That's what I think. Idk. They're also given to lords and counts.

(For Pinoys, it's just like hacienda, but for the richest people lol I mean, a manor that looks like a castle [refer to image] are for the richest, there are no castles here in the Philippines except for the historical sites but that's besides the point)

Feudalism is connected to manorialism. It's like giving patches of land to those who do you good service, I think. I mean you can always look them up.

'... Feudal society is a military hierarchy in which a ruler or lord offers mounted fighters a fief (medieval beneficium), a unit of land to control in exchange for a military service.'

Oh yes, I'm doing my research. I hope this clears everything up. ^^

-Maria

06/11/16