Chapter 38

The doorbell rung throughout the apartment; Chris raised his head up to look at his alarm clock on the dresser. Eight o'clock? He angrily grumbled as he shifted in his bed. Within seconds, the bell toned through the apartment again. "Will one of you get the blasted door?!" he called before he jerked his blanket over his head. He heard footsteps stumble down the hall before the door clicked open. Next he heard what sounded like three women's voices, one of which was Sakura. He didn't really care who it was, however. If it was any of his groupies, they'd have to wait. After three consecutive distress calls yesterday, he was going to take advantage of this downtime, and would damn anyone who'd ask for his help.

Moments later, the doorbell rung four sequential times, a signal that meant there was an emergency. "Don't care," he mumbled to himself before he smacked his lips and turned to the side. I don't care if I am the leader of the group, they can either wait until I wake up, or do whatever they want without me. He felt himself slipping back to sleep until his blankets were ripped violently from his hands, almost hard enough to hurt. He snapped his head up to see Alycia's dark figure glaring back at him, her afro hidden by a head wrap. "Alycia?" he covered his head with his pillow. "I'm too tired to do anything right now. Give me about an hour and a shot of gin, and I'll be up and running."

"Didn't you hear the alarm, you little pervert?" she asked. "We've got some people here to speak with the group. Ichi commissioned them to come."

"I'm still waiting for the part that concerns me," he said from under his pillow.

Alycia sighed. "I figured that you would probably want to speak with the Sirens that were hired for our group. Oh well."

Sirens? He rose up from his bed so quickly that he'd almost jumped off of it completely. "Did you say Sirens?"

"Yep. Two of them. They're both waiting out in the living room for-"

He charged out of his room, shoving Alycia out of the way, and walked into the den. There, he saw the rest of his group, excluding Hwan-Jin who refused to share a house with his team. Aside from them, two beautiful women stood in front of the door. Their beauty was almost supernatural. One, a slim brunette, wore what looked like bones of adult fingers woven on a leather necklace. If Chris remembered right, if a Siren wore a bone around their neck, it meant that they've had at least one victim. Hell, to me it meant that they've had experience.

At once the group, including the Sirens, all turned to him. He looked past his team to the Sirens, showing off the Union Jack tattooed proudly across his shoulder. "Wow. There is a God." he said as he walked down the two steps circling the two sofas, chair, and almost-theater sized flat screen television and past his teammates.

One of the Sirens, a curvy woman with a golden bang covering her forehead snarled as she reached behind her back. Her eyes flashed their true colors, black with yellow pupils. Gulping, Chris stopped in his tracks on the second step up. "Calm yourself," the brunette calmly spoke, her voice as gentle as the rain. "Remember why we've been summoned here." The blond Siren growled in her throat before she reluctantly straightened up and folded her arms across her chest.

"So, why have you been brought here, anyway?" Jeremy asked before taking a seat on one of the black, leather sofas. "It's not every day that we get Sirens wanting to converse with Amians."

"It's not every day that we get Edge Walkers invading Amity, as well as Earth," the brunette Siren said as she and the other Siren gracefully moved to the sofa adjacent to the one where Jeremy sat. "These are strange times, indeed."

"And what makes them stranger is that our own kind are the ones behind the attack," said the blond Siren.

Joel raised an eyebrow. "You sure that's strange? I mean, considering how you feel-" he was suddenly silenced by Sakura's hand smacking against the back of his neck. He grimaced as he looked back at her; she closed her eyes and exhaled, her thin eyebrows twitched slightly.