Chapter 65

Ian woke up with a groan. He looked at his screen on the phone. It was 10:25. "Might as well get up," he said as he wiped his eyes. Rose said that she would pick up Michael and Keiko, so he just had to get Dre and Kim. Yawning, he left out of his room.

The light to the bathroom was on. He knocked on the door. "Yo, Dre? You in there?"

"Go away, Ian. I'm brooding right now," Dre called on the other side of the door.

Ian furrowed is brows. "Brooding? What, did Kim get a boyfriend?"

The bathroom door swung open. Dre stood in the bathroom with his unkempt hair frayed in different directions. "Dude. Don't even joke about that. Kamatsu's coming with us. Katherine said that he basically forced his way into our plans. He's not even anyone's friend in this group."

"Yeah, but he is Katherine's brother."

Dre slammed the door shut. "I'm not coming out."

"Come again?" Ian called back. "We had this planned since last week, and I'm not going to let you wimp out of this because someone you don't like is coming along. Now, open the door, or I'm breaking it down."

"If you brave enough," he heard his mom say from her room in a warning tone.

Ian shuddered to think what she would do to him if he went through with it. "Look, the group was all hype about this trip for about a week now. We will all go out there and have fun, and you, Dre, will bring your ass or I'm kicking it!"

"Kick it as much as you need. I'm still not going."

Ian growled in his throat; why did his brother have to be so damn stubborn? He spent all of Sunday pestering him about how awesome Kim was, and now he didn't even have the guts to go because of one person?

And then it hit him. Kim. If anyone would make him go, it would be Kim.

"Okay," Ian shrugged, "stay here and sulk. Once I break the news to Kim, I bet she won't take it well. She'll probably spend the week sulking too."

Ian put his ear to the door. This was foolproof.

After a second, the door opened. Dre frowned as he looked at him. "Dude, you suck."

Grabbing Dre's hand, despite his objections, Ian dragged him out of the bathroom and shoved him down the hall, into his room. He grabbed two large bags from the corner of his room, scowling as he walked back to the doorway and slid into his boots. Dre paused at the doorway, giving Ian a dirty look before he walked past him. "Got your brush?" Ian asked with a smirk.

Dre stopped in the middle of the living room and laid his bags on the carpet. After giving a frustrated sigh, he returned to his room and snatched the hairbrush from his night stand. "Can we go now?" he asked as he ran his brush through his hair.

Ian stood aside. "Lead the way."

~~~

Dre slumped as he set his bags in Ian's trunk. He still didn't see why Kamatsu had to join, even if the only person he's familiar with was Katherine. The group only knew him because he was part of the group that tried to kill him during the entrance exam. In Dre's mind, that doesn't make for a good first appearance. Then again, Katherine was dating Megumi. Could Dre really be misjudging Kamatsu? Should he actually give him a chance to become friends with him? Dre slammed the trunk shut. Nah.

"I'ma need you to show me how to get to Kim's house," Ian said as he walked down the steps of the porch.

"Just go to the high school. She stays down the street from it."