Chapter 63

The engine ran idle with the chiptune music blaring over the sounds of the engine. Megumi waited with her chin resting on her hand. She began plotting how she'd be able to get Dre and Kim to start liking each other. Of course, going to the go-kart would be the best thing to get them together, but what if that didn't work? Would laser tag work? Movies? Besides going to lunch, these were her best options. She grinned at the challenge.

Moments later, both Kim and Dre left her house. Once they left, Megumi realized that Kim's parents' jeep was gone. They looked like they were alone all this time. Her grin disappeared from her face. She should've took her time coming over.

"Hey, Megumi," Kim said as she got in the passenger's seat. Dre got in the back seat, waving at her in the rearview mirror.

"What's up, guys?" She pulled out of the driveway, speeding towards Interstate-30 on the other side of town. "You guys ready for today?"

"I was, but then something interrupted my hype," Dre mumbled as he looked out of the window.

Inclining an eyebrow, Megumi asked, "What's eating you? Did I miss something while you two were alone? You know, I can drop you guys back off at Kim's house and drive a couple of blocks." Dre was silent.

"What do you have planned for us today?" Kim asked Megumi. She, too, looked slightly disappointed. Megumi cursed herself for showing up so early.

"Well, we're going to go to the go-kart up in Hot Springs. Katherine is going to show me how to get there. After that, we're going to lunch. We might go to Olive Garden or something. Is that good you two?"

They both nodded before they looked out of the window. This might be a little more difficult, but not impossible. She grinned as she drove down Main Street, continuing to plot for getting them two together.

After driving on the interstate for a little over thirty minutes, Megumi, Dre, and Kim made it to Katherine's apartment. She blew her horn; almost at an instant, Katherine appeared from the apartment, grinning from ear to ear as she walked down the steps. "I'll just sit in the back with Ke'Undre," Kim grinned as she unlocked her seatbelt. She swiftly got out of the passenger's seat and sat in the back seat beside Dre, with only a little more than an inch between them.

"Hey guys," Katherine said after opening the door. "I see that you've healed well, Dre."

"I see that you've healed well, Dre," Dre repeated with a high pitched voice, his face scrunched up as if he ate something sour. "You need to learn to take a chill pill."

"You need to learn to explain yourself further," Katherine retorted. She turned her attention to Megumi and gave her a quick kiss. "How are you doing, babe?"

"I'm a bit confused about what happened between you two," Megumi said as she backed out of the driveway.

"It's nothing. Just Dre's idiocy."

"Okay dude. Was that even called for?" Dre called.

Kim patted his head. "Don't worry, Ke'Undre," she said with a grin, "I don't think you're dumb."

"Yeah. At least I have you to cheer me up. You're awesome." he said, smiling at her.

"That's what I'm here for." Kim looked over to Megumi and Katherine. "So, how's the relationship so far?"

Chuckling, Megumi said, "Dude, we just started dating."

"I know, I know. I'm just so happy to hear that you two are together."

"Don't worry, Kim. You'll have something happen to you that's going to make you even happier really soon," Katherine said with a smirk.

"What do you mean?"