Chapter 81

I can't believe I let Kat talk me into this, Megumi groaned as she looked herself over in the mirror. She was wearing a silver tuxedo with a lime green vest underneath. Two dandelions were placed behind her ears, with a pixelated pin of a white rose attached to her jacket. Her eye shadow matched her vest. That was the only type of makeup she'd wear.

The tux itself was ill-fitting. Both her jacket and dress pants was much larger than her tailor had intended, and she refused to wear dress shoes. Her worn-out sneakers were more than enough to walk down the aisle and dance for a while. It wasn't like she was doing it for her peers appreciation, and she figured that Katherine knew about her style. "This is so ridiculous. I could be playing something right now." She picked up her phone, looking at the time. It was 5:43. Frowning, she dialed Katherine's number.

"Hello?" Katherine answered after two rings.

"Kat, I look ridiculous. Why are we even doing this?"

"Because it's fun," Katherine said. Megumi could feel her smiling through the phone. "Come on, baby. It can't be all bad. Besides, I'm sure you look beautiful."

"I don't like looking beautiful," Megumi pouted. "Anyway, how far away are you? I'm ready to get this thing over with."

"I'm almost in Prescott. I'd say I'm about ten or fifteen minutes away from your house. We would've left sooner, but Kamatsu decided to get some... exercise before we left."

"I don't even want to know. I'll be here, cursing the person who invented the prom."

Katherine giggled "Okay baby. I'll see you there."

"Uh huh." She hung up the phone and placed it in her breast pocket.

There was a knock at the door. "Gumi? Are you ready to come out?" Tiffany asked on the other side of the door.

"In a second, mom," Megumi called back. She took one last look at herself and sighed before walking out of the bathroom, into the living room.

The living room was crowded with family members. Of course, there was Toney and Tiffany, but there was also her Uncle Ichi, Uncle Christan, Uncle Zero, Aunt Sophie, Aunt Kiku, and Joel. They all happily talked and laughed among themselves. Megumi frowned. They must have come when she was in the shower. She knew exactly why they were here. They were there because of the prom, the prom that she was forced to go to. Megumi hated being the center of attention, especially wearing this monkey suit.

Well, let's get this over with, she thought to herself before she walked into the room. "When did you all get here?" she called over the rambling of the family members. Each eye turned to her, each one sparked once they saw her in her tuxedo. She was bombarded with a multitude of compliments about how good she looked, though she really didn't pay them no heed. She was just ready to get this whole thing over with and get back to gaming.

"So, where's your girlfriend?" Sophie asked.

"She should be here soon. I'm just ready to get out of this tux. It really isn't me."

~~~~

The sun hung low in the sky as Ian drove Dre and Kim to the school. The parking lot was crowded, and people lined up on both side of the cement path leading from the cafeteria doors to the large, maroon "PHS" sign in the teacher's parking lot. Dre let out an exhausted breath. "I can't believe they actually took two hours' worth of pictures."

"Why do you think I didn't go to the prom?" Ian asked.

"Because you couldn't keep the number of girlfriends you had in the single digits?" Dre answered.