Chapter 93

Dre blinked his eyes open, suddenly wishing that he wasn't. Lightning flashed overhead, followed by an ear-splitting roll of thunder. A vicious wind blew through him, making the trees in the distance dance with the heavy rain. He fingered the ring on his finger, hoping it would calm him. It didn't. Whoever decided to have the tournament take place here was forever on his "Not to be trusted" list, with a good reason. He hated storms.

"Basura!" he heard Kamatsu call. Dre looked down from the sky, seeing Kamatsu standing in front of him. He rested a hand on the handle of his katana, his self-confident smile plastered across his face. His smile disappeared, only to be replaced by confusion. "Funny, you don't look like you were just fighting."

"I was just going to say the same thing about you," Dre said, struggling to hide the shakiness in his voice. He really hated storms.

His grin returning to his face, Kamatsu placed his hands behind his head. "So, I remember you saying that you were going to, if I remember right, 'knock the flavor out of my mouth.' If fear isn't what's holding you back, then maybe we can begin."

"You tool," Dre growled as he materialized the Suscéptor in his hand.

For a split second, Dre could see shock in Kamatsu's face, but if he'd blinked, he'd miss it. Face hardened, he slid his katana from its sheath. It sung out in anticipation before Kamatsu held it towards Dre. "I see. So, you're the King of Elements, huh? Alright then, King. Prepare to be dethroned."

"I don't think so. Hail to the King, baby!" he bellowed as he rushed towards Kamatsu.

They both roared as their blades connected, sending the sounds of metal on crystal-like metalloid echoing in the air.

~~~~

Just as their swords clashed, Dre found himself laying in the transfer pod with a rotating red light high overhead. Is this a hallucination? He gingerly removed the wired suction cups from his forehead and stood. Looking around the room, he saw that the rest of his group, as well as Team Hernandez's group, were beginning to awaken around him. "What just happened?"

"I don't know, but I feel like hell," Kamatsu mumbled. "The last thing I remember was Dre and I were about to fight."

Ian looked at Kamatsu, outraged. "You mean to tell me that I got all hyped for no reason?"

"It appears so," Laisha commented. She pointed up at the red light. "And that can't be a good sign."

"Not at all. I'm going to go see if I can find out anything." Michael walked to the door. Just as he reached it, it flung open to Sakura looking at both groups in a panic.

"Guys. Oh, my God. You have to leave, like right now."

"Why? What's going on?" Keiko asked.

"The school's being invaded. Everyone is being called to help defend it."

"Oh, hell yeah." Megumi kipped up from her pod. "Where are we going?"

"My team is going to the school. Your team is going back to Earth."

"Aw, what?" Katherine pouted.

"This isn't the time to argue about it. My dad will be at Megumi's house to watch over you. Just go." And with that, Sakura disappeared into the hall.

Dre turned to his group and shrugged. "Crash at Megumi's place?"

~~~~

"Well, well," Ichi mused as he looked around the group, reclining in a chair. "You all seem excited to see me. I take it that things took a turn for the worst?"