Chapter 84

His legs began to waver as he continued to retreat. His movements became sluggish, sloppy. Hiro took advantage of his exhaustion. He slashed Dre across his chest, stinging him from his side to his shoulder and followed up by digging the bottom of his handle into his ribs. Pain coursed through his body as he met the ground again. "What have I told you, Dre? Your swordplay has improved, no doubt. However they hadn't improved enough to go toe to toe with me. What did your bond increase?" He crouched in front of Dre, waiting for an answer.

"M-my elemental might," Dre said through his teeth, through pants.

"Exactly. So, why have you been focused on trying to defeat me with your sword?"

Breathing labored, Dre struggled to look at both Hiro's eyeing him. "I thought I had to in order to absorb your power."

Hiro blinked. Then, he laughed. "Where did you get that idea?"

"Wasn't that how Toney became the intern King?"

Water flowed from Hiro's hand, flowing through his wounds. Slowly, the pain receded. Dre stood as Hiro continued to laugh. "That was because Toney had no ties to the King's power. You can defeat me any way you want and in the end I'll grant you the King's Blessing. So use what you've excelled in and worry about the swordplay when you've reached Journeyman status."

"Got it." His Suscéptor disappeared before he ignited his hands in fira. "Alright. Bring it."

Hiro nodded. And then, he rushed forward. He swung his katana diagonally, only to be blocked by Dre's gauntlet. Dre forced the sword away before he hauled an orb of fira at him. He was stunned; the ball of fira was much larger than he had expected for it to just be a light attack. Hiro cocooned himself in a ball of rock, shielding him from the ball of flames. "That was just meant to be a light attack. Was that what you meant, Hiro?"

Hiro said nothing.

"Are you still-" His voice trailed off, remembering the last time he was in this situation. He spun, catching Hiro materializing behind him from a watered state, and caught him with the back of his fist before he hit Hiro with a wide haymaker, knocking him on the ground.

"You're learning," he said as he stood back up. Hiro got back in his ready stance and charged Dre. He swung at Dre; each slash was blocked and countered by a fira-infused fist. Dre was at sudden disbelief. His leather gauntlets were successfully blocking each one of Hiro's slashes. They were working just as effectively as Brianna had told him. He'd have to thank her greatly the next time he saw her.

Hiro's blade narrowly missed Dre's head as he ducked and countered with an uppercut. Hiro stumbled back, dazed. He hesitated. Hiro was on the ropes now. All he had to do was finish him with Flames of the Wrathful Dragon, but doing so would end the time he got to spend with Hiro. Dre shook the thoughts out of his head. No. This had to happen. He held his hands in front of him with a sullen grin. "Sayonara, Hiro. And thank you." He bent his legs as he said the incantation and released a giant wave of fira. He didn't even feel the exhaustiveness from releasing so much.

Once the flames receded, he looked to see if Hiro was still alive.

He was nowhere to be seen.

"Well done, Dre," Hiro's voice called from all around him. "Even though I had to spoon feed it to you, you handled yourself well. That bond of yours will bring you closer and closer to your victory, as long as you keep on the right path." Dre felt someone materialize behind him. He looked to see Hiro standing with his arms crossed over his chest. He looked much younger than he did before, with his stubbled shaved clean, his green eyes slightly larger. The crimson ponytail ended just above his shoulders. His tan Journeyman jacket was unzipped, showing the black breastplate underneath. "Remember, Dre. Your story will be one of great triumph as well as great pain. Despite this, you are not alone. You have your friends, your family, and me here to help defend you whenever it deems necessary.