Chapter 73

After not being able to find any information on Keiko's family, the group decided to converge at Megumi's house. Since they had training at three, Megumi figured that it would be best to stay at her house until it was time to go back to Amity. Both Megumi and Keiko played on Megumi's Super Famicom, while Michael, Dre and Kim sat on the sofa. Michael couldn't help but feel like a third wheel, considering how intently Dre and Kim spoke about prom, however he didn't want to watch the game, considering the text was in Japanese, and he couldn't read a lick of it. So instead, he moved to the suede couch and pulled a thick book from his back pocket.

"So, did you go to prom last year?" Kim asked.

Dre shook his head. "I was dating Samantha at the time, and she barely even wanted to be around me in public, let alone at such a populous event. What about you? Surely you could've made someone's week by being their prom date."

"Well, no one really asked me, and I didn't want to go alone. I'd be much too shy to walk through that crowd by myself."

"I figured that you'd be too shy," Dre chuckled. "What about you, Megumi? Are you going to prom?"

"Nah. Don't really see a reason to. All prom is is a popularity contest where you pay outrageous amounts of money for an outfit that you'd only wear once and display yourself in front of people you don't like. I'd rather be at home stuffing my face with muffins while I watch movies."

"Every party needs a pooper," Keiko snickered.

"Whatever. You just focus on catching the beat down, Girl Formerly Known as Pipsqueak." Megumi stuck her tongue out at Keiko. Keiko mimicked her before they both started laughing.

Moments later, the alarm system sounded. "Sounds like daddy's here," Megumi said as she strode to the door. Once she opened the door, however, she saw an elderly, fair skinned woman in a snow-white, priest-like robe, her dark braid contrasting against it. She looked kindly at Megumi with lime-green eyes, holding an oak staff in front of her which swirled at the top.

"Hello, dear child," she said. "I'm looking for a Ke'Undre Wolf, son of Raheem Wolf. May I speak to him, please?"

Dre, hearing his name, began to stand until Michael held him down. Megumi turned back to the woman. "Who wants to know?"

"Oh. Oh, yes," the woman said, looking flustered. "I apologize. I am Lady Eleonora Blumenthal, the Sage of Spirits, and leader of the Sages. I wish to speak with Dre about his becoming the King."

"And I'm the Queen of America," Megumi said, giving her a droll stare.

"But America doesn't have-"

"Shut up, Dre," she called over her shoulder.

Eleonora chuckled lightly. "How about I prove that I am the Sage of Spirits? As the sage, I'm able to speak with the Elder Sages. I'll ask the Elder Sage of Spirits herself to confirm this. Does that sound good to you?"

"What does that entail?" Megumi asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I will ask Tryphosa, the Elder Sage of Spirits, if she can speak to you herself. Does that sound like a deal to you?"

Megumi narrowed her eyes on the woman. "Fine. But I'm watching you."

Lady Elenora nodded. Lowering her head, she laid the head of the staff against her head, as if she was praying at an altar. In an instant, her eyes flashed open.

Then, Dre fell to darkness.

~~~~~~

"You. Have got. To be. Kidding!" Dre exploded through the still air of the World Where Titans Sleep. "Why can't be freaking gullible like me!?" Dre sighed as he sat on the mirrored ground, sitting cross-legged as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Why did I have to even be targeted? There could've been some better way to prove that she was a Sage," he grumbled.