To Our Luna - Part 1

May 1, 1980 - Beltane

Big Bend National Park, TX

The temperature of the day was easing with a breeze while the sun went down behind the tree line. The clearing was packed because it was a special night. Beltane was one of many sacred days that we spend together as pack. Imagine your local fair with the entire state only it starts at dusk and unfortunately no rides. There are always drawbacks to being secret to the human society.

The Alpha of the Red Gulf Pack, Michael Corbin Blaine, was in the middle of giving his welcome speech to the pack when I decided to make my big appearance into the world, no time like the present. Good thing our Luna was expecting me, being her first born son and all.

"Welcome everyone!" Our Alpha's voice boomed from the platform. "We are here to celebrate another Beltane to our ancestors. It is because of our respect for the lupine heritage that we celebrate this day. I would like to thank all of you that helped with the preparations and food for this joyous night. A special thanks to the Red Gulf Boy & Girl Scout, to the Mom and Me Toddler Club and to the Red Gulf Defense Team for their extra help. Last but never least to our Luna, Michelle Dominique Blaine, for putting up with me during the pregnancy of our first born." Smiling like the beauty queen she was Dominique blew a kiss to Corbin.

In that same breath her face scrunched as she focused on her belly. Taking deep breaths she kept Corbin's attention as her contractions increased. Corbin stilled, his first concern always for his Luna, as he waited for her thumps up sign. During the last few weeks Corbin hovered over Dominique to the point where she didn't think he would make it to the birth. She just might kill him first. After slowing counting to sixty and still no sign from her Corbin jumped off the platform heading towards Dominique.

"Dominique, are you alright, is it time?" asked Corbin with worry etched on his face.

"Corbin, it's time and the baby is coming now." replied Dominique breathing deeply trying to focus on the rock she now called a stomach.

"Ok...ok...ok, someone bring the car around so we can take Luna home!" Corbin shouted trying to hold himself together while his insides rolled in panic.

Dominique heard the word "home" and flipped. Grabbing Corbin by the collar to get his attention she yanked him to her face so she could look him dead in the eye. For the first time in the public eye of the pack she tore the Alpha a new one.

"Did you not hear me say, the baby is coming now. Not now, but right the fuck now! I don't have time to go anywhere but right here and if you don't get Elder Thomas, I will have this baby right now sitting in this fucking chair in front of everyone!" She growled at the top of her lungs.

By this time a huge crowd formed around the Alpha and Luna. The Elder was breaking through the crowd shooting off instructions as he approached Dominique.

Having delivered most of the lupines at the gathering, Elder Thomas was cool and confident to take over. Once the Luna started having Braxton Hicks contractions, Elder Thomas thought ahead and requested Delta Patrick from the Defense Team to supply one large tent they had in stock. The largest they had formed two rooms and one lounge area. Once the commotion started in the middle of the Alpha's speech Elder Thomas quickly went into action recognizing the signs of labor.

"Well Luna, I think it's time you had yourself a baby. Now don't you agree?" Elder Thomas greeted Dominique with a warm smile.

"Oh yeah, I absolutely agree." replied Dominique with a wash of relief on her face as she watched Elder Thomas approach. All the worry started to melt off her face once she sighted him.

"Alpha, I have prepared for your baby's arrival and have had men from Defense supply and pitch a tent just in case this occurred. I would suggest that you make an announcement informing the pack of the changes in our schedule tonight. It will be better if everyone didn't focus on Luna right now. " Thomas informed Corbin as he helped Dominique out of her seat headed out of the clearing. "Luna, everything is setup and ready for you, so you can try to relax and keep breathing. Your doing wonderful." Thomas said focusing all his attention on Dominique.

With a sharp nod to Thomas, Corbin kissed Dominique on the head and told her he would be there shortly. He knew he could rely on Elder Thomas to tend to Dominique. Good thing she put her foot down and insisted they pick a baby name last month. Corbin wanted to wait till the baby was born but Dominique wouldn't have it. Compromising they agreed to pick a boy and a girl name but would wait until the delivery to fine out the sex.

Traditionally, when naming a lupine they are given two names. The first is their human society name the parents choose. This name is used in human records, if a lupine is born in a hospital, for school records, drivers license and anything involving the human society. The second is the lupine name given to the Elder from the ancestor spirits of that family line. It is said that through the elements of the land the ancestors whisper the name in the wind only the Elder can hear. This name is used in historic records tracing each families descendents. The lupine name is never to be shared with humans. If you are high enough in lupine society every lupine will know you and call you by this name.

When a male is born he will be given another name on the night of his birth, the lupine name of his mate. Males are told the name after they've reached the teenage period but only if they prove responsible enough.

There are 10 periods in a lupines lifespan since we live relativity longer lives than humans even though we are born like humans. When a lupine is born, we are born a baby just like humans. From their first year until they reach nine is their immature period, pup period is from 10 to 15 and teen is from 16 to 19. During the pup period is when lupines reach puberty and are first learning how to shift; these are one of the toughest times in a lupines life. Learning to shift is hard enough without having to worry about puberty, the opposite sex and body hair as well as fur.

When the males become minors between the ages of 20 to 24 they are given the name of their mate. She might be born of the same pack or possibility another. It is the males responsibility to search and contact his chosen mate wherever she may be. Once a female is contacted she can accept the claim or deny it. Lupines mate for life and if neither has been done then both lupines will never know true happiness. Also, the male can never challenge to become Alpha of any pack. Most mates agree to the claim during their adult period, between 25 and 49 years old. When the claim is accepted a bond is formed between lupines through sex, blood and saliva.

The final periods are mature period from 50 to 99, Senior period from 100 to 149, Elder from 150 to 199 and Supreme period from 200+. Most lupines don't live to the Elder period due to their tempers and even less make it to Supreme period.

After making the announcements to the pack and ensuring everyone the Luna was fine Corbin disappeared into the large tent setup for the arrival of his heir. Standing at 6'3" and 225 lbs. of solid muscle, Corbin stood tall and proud. Dressed in an red Egyptian cotton button down dress shirt with black trousers and hush puppy loafers of soft black leather. His hazel eyes closed and did a silent prayer to his ancestors for everything to go smoothly. Living in Texas the sun nurtured his skin to a golden bronze money couldn't buy. Being in his last year for the mature period of his lifespan this was the best thing he could ask for, an heir.